ELLIOTS FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1141376

Date first listed: 26-May-1987

Statutory Address: ELLIOTS FARMHOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of ELLIOTS FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1141376 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 08:27:30.

Location

Statutory Address: ELLIOTS FARMHOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: East Devon (District Authority)

Parish: Newton Poppleford and Harpford

National Grid Reference: SY 07611 91292

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SY 09 SE NEWTON POPPLEFORD VENN OTTERY AND HARPFORD 4/89 Elliots Farmhouse -

GV II

Farmhouse. Probably early or mid C16 core; much rebuilt, rearranged and extended circa 1700; modernised circa 1830. Plastered cob on stone rubble footings, some of it faced with circa 1700 brick and plastered over; stone rubble or brick stacks with plastered brick chimney shafts; slate roof (formerly thatch). U-shaped plan. The main block faces south and its plan comprises a central entrance lobby and staircase with a corridor along the rear. At the right (eastern) end is the principal parlour with an end stack with another domestic room in a rear block at right angles behind, also with an end stack. To left of the main stair are 2 smaller rooms, the outer one served by an end stack and there is also a secondary stair here. Another rear block at right angles contains the kitchen with an end stack. 2 storeys throughout with disused attics. Symmetrical 2:1:2-window front of C20 replacement mullion-and-transom casements without glazing bars. The central bay is broken forward slightly and contains a circa 1830 6-panel door with contemporary moulded doorcase and flat-roofed porch which has slender Tuscan columns and moulded entablature with shaped vallance. The roof has plain eaves and the central part is lifted over the projecting bay. It is hipped each end and flanked by tall chimney shafts with moulded coping. The rear blocks are gable-ended and also contain C20 windows. On the left (western) return wall is a secondary doorway to the rear corridor. It has a solid oak frame with chamfered surround and contains a good plank door with large studs and moulded cover strips and is hung on strap hinges with fleur-de-lys finials. It probably dates from circa 1700 although it looks earlier. Interior is largely the result of the circa 1700 rebuild as modernised circa 1830. The layout is wholly circa 1700 suggesting that the C19 modernisation was relatively superficial. The only evidence of early or mid C16 work is from the right (eastern) rear block. Here on the outer wall the farmer reports finding a large timber window "in Gothic style" when replacing the external render. It was apparently tall and sited across first floor level suggesting that it served an open hall. It was in good condition but was covered over. Most of the joinery detail is circa 1830 including the main'stair with its open string, slender turned balusters and unusually heavy mahogony handrail. There are, however, some 2-panel doors of circa 1700 and many contemporary solid oak doorframes with bead-moulded surrounds and applied architraves. The fireplaces are all blocked by C19 and C20 grates although the kitchen fireplace is said to have the machinery for winding the meat jack. The parlour has a beautiful ceiling of circa 1700 ornamental plasterwork. It is 2 bays with ovals defined by bolection-moulded ribs and filled with naturalistic flowers and foliage in high relief with laurel sprays in the end panels. The secondary stair is also circa 1700, a winder stair around a circular section newel post rising from the ground to the attics. The roof throughout is circa 1700 and comprises a series of A-frame trusses on tie beams with pegged lap-jointed collars. Here in the attics some of the old plaster has fallen away showing that it is backed on water reeds rather than wooden lathes. Elliots Farmhouse with its forecourt wall and pavilion (q.v.) form an attractive group. The farmhouse is a good example of a circa 1700 house and its development follows a remarkably similar pattern to nearby Venn Ottery Barton (q.v.) with its forecourt walls and pavilion (q.v.).

Listing NGR: SY0761191292

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 352411

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing