Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CARGOLL FARM BARN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1141453.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 05-Jun-2020 at 09:48:34.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
St. Newlyn East
National Grid Reference:


ST NEWLYN EAST CARGOLL SW 85 NW 1/31 30.5.1967 Cargoll Farm Barn

--- I

Barn. Late C14. Killas rubble stonework with ashlar dressings. Corrugated asbestos roof replacing thatch. Plan: 7-8 bays, buttressed on east side and south end. Later subdivided into calf pens on lower floor, and grain store above. Ramp entrance to upper floor in 6th bay on west side. Buttresses with two offsets to each truss, but wider simpler buttresses square to south gable at corners, the west buttress built into later structures. North gable end rebuilt reducing last surviving bay to quarter the original width. Probably Some rebuilding of west wall, removing buttresses. Interior: Raised base cruck trusses to each bay, with blades 41 x 10am supporting square set arcade plates, but outer section tenoned to extension rafters to diagonally set ridge. Cambered collars with dropped centres stopping knee braces, all chamfered on lower arrises. Lower purlins tenoned to blades, upper purlins clasped above straight collars to extension rafters. Trusses set at 2.4m bay centres, each bay divided by intermediate trusses comprising raised base crucks and extension rafters with collars only. Long curved windbraces to each bay. Total span 5,9m, length now approx 15.25m. A rare and important building, being the only survival of the medieval palace of the Bishops of Exeter on this site, purchased by Bishop Walter Bronescombe 'the Goode' in 1269, and held by the bishopric until 1804. A grant of a Thursday market was given in 1312. No evidence of the large prison noted by Tonkin in the C19 survives. (Alcock & Barley. Antiq Jnl. 52 (1972) p.132; Jope, E.M.,Studies in Building History 1961 ) Scheduled Ancient Monument CORNWALL No 620.

Listing NGR: SW8194556388


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Jope, E M, Studies in Building History Cornish Houses 1400-1700, (1961)
'Journal of the Society of Antiquaries of London' in Journal of the Society of Antiquaries of London, , Vol. 52, (1972), 132


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Oct 2003
Reference: IOE01/11439/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Morphew. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].

to top