CHURCH OF SAINT MYLOR
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF SAINT MYLOR
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1141632.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 21:06:58.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF SAINT MYLOR
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
SW 83 NW MYLOR MYLOR CHURCHTOWN
4/219 Church of Saint Mylor
Parish church. Incorporating some Norman work and possibly walling, but predominantly C15 with C19 re-roofing. Local shale rubble with some granite quoins and copings; dressed coarsed granite to porch and bell turret and other granite and Caen stone dressings. Scantle slate roofs, some with coped gable ends. Plan of C12 nave and chancel under one roof with C15 bell turret over west gable, C12 north transept, C15 north rood stair turret, C15 south aisle with chapel (not as long or wide as nave/chancel), C15 south porch. South transept and small C19 sacristy between. Probably originally cruciform in the C12, but south transept and wall removed and replaced by Caen stone arcade and touch rebuilding of north and east walls in the C15, and further alterations including re-roofing, resetting of windows and some rebuilding, plus sacristy extension circa 1870. West end has coped gable end of nave, left, and coped gable end of south aisle set back to right. West gable of nave has old round-headed freestone doorway in the Norman style incorporating original C12 carved bases to outer jambs, rollmoulding to architrave, nook shafts to jambs and leaf carving to tympanum. C15 3-light Caen stone Perpendicular window to gable over, and gable surmounted by large square embattled turret with C15 2-light Perpendicular window to each side, all with relieving arches. Aisle gable has C15 Caen stone late Perpendicular 3-light window with granite sill. Cross finial over gable. North wall has transept, left of middle, gable ended rood stair turret in angle to left, north wall of chancel, far left and north wall of nave to right of transept. Nave wall, partly rebuilt in the C15 has fine Norman doorway incorporating much original work: chevron architrave with roll and ball mouldings, nook shafts to outer jambs, moulded and enriched round- headed arch and flared patee-formee cross to tympanum. To left and right are C19 windows in the Norman style. Walling to far right is possibly C12. North transept mostly rebuilt in the C15 has C15 granite 3-light Perpendicular window with hoodmould to north gable end. East wall, mostly rebuilt in the C19, has tall C19 cusped single light granite window, left, pointed C19 granite doorway, right, and pointed C19 niche over. Stair turret has original small C15 2-.light window cut from single piece of stone. North wall of chancel has circa late C15 3-light Caen stone Perpendicular window with granite sill. East wall has gable end of south aisle, set back to left and gable end of chancel, right, each with C15 4-light Perpendicular window. South wall has window, left, porch, sacristy, south transept with gable window, and window to aisle chapel to right of transept. Sacristy has tall single light cusped granite window, otherwise south windows are similar to those at west gable of aisle and north wall of chancel. South chancel window has old wooden casements and crown glass. To left of window is C15 Caen stone doorway with basket arch. Porch doorway circa late C15/early C16 is very good example of late Perpendicular work with panelled trefoil- headed octagonal jambs with moulded bases and moulded and carved capitals and round-headed chamfered ordered arch with ogee arched inner tracery. In gable over doorway is further flared cross possibly part of Norman doorway tympanum but resited. C15 moulded inner doorway, also Caen stone, has basket arch and square-headed hoodmould. To right of doorway set within east wall of porch is round head stoup. Interior has fine 4:2 bay Caen stone arcade between nave and south aisle and chancel and south aisle chapel. East and west respond piers and moulded bases are granite. Standard A (Pevsner) piers with moulded capitals and moulded, nearly round arches. There are 2 rood doorways high up in the north wall and in the pier opposite between the nave and chancel. Squint at east end of arcade with piscina within on octagonal shaft. An aumbry is set into east wall of aisle chapel. In the north wall of the north transept are 2 niches incorporating Norman fragments. The roof structures are pitch pine and arch braced, replacing in circa 1870 the oak waggon roofs. Several windows including north and east windows of chancel have C19 coloured glass. North window is to Captain Downey, lost in H.M.S Brisris. 1838 and Captain William Lure died in 1874. Fittings include: Medieval font, circa late C15/early C16 rood screen base, C16 pulpit. Painted letter near south door from Charles I at Sudely Castle, A priests chair of reused medieval fragments, painted Royal Arms of Queen Anne in the south transept; old oak parish stocks in porch; and simple C19 pitch pine pews. The font has an octagonal granite bowl, possibly C15, over a circa C13 turned base. The reassembled oak carved panelled rood screen base is early Renaissance in style and vestiges of original paint survive. 2 C16 oak bench ends adjoin incorporated into the fronts of the choir stalls. The oak pulpit has carved rails, stiles, muntins and panels and moulded cornice. Monuments: Fine marble monument in south east corner of aisle chapel to Francis Trefusis, 1680, with Latin inscription within bolection moulded frame flanked by Corinthian columns on square bases and supporting dentilled cornice to segmental pediment with bead and reel and acanthus enriched cornice enclosing black tympanum against which and rising above is painted achievement. The whole is standing on a shelf with moulded cornice supported by 2 carved angles, and standing on the shelf before the aedicule is a carved cavalier kneeling before a carved lectern. Further wall monuments in south transept including: fine monument of 1695 to Richard Bonython of Carclew who died aged 45 and Honor his wife, given by daughter Jane who married Samuel Kempe of Penryn. (The Bonythons held Carclew from 1422-1749). The inscription is framed by fluted pilasters, standing on shelf supported by consoles over shaped base with carved cherub, and surmounted by broken entablature and achievements flanking urn. Square monument with shaped base with achievement and egg and dart and acanthus border framing inscription to: Samuel Humphry Pellew of Treverry, died 1821 aged 89, and wife Jane and daughter Jane; simple tapered and pyramidal headed over shaped base monument to Samuel Humphry Pellew, died 1854, aged 61; pointed arched slab over corbels with central urn, to Harriet Guion, died at Wood Cottage 1806 aged 27; and an oval medallion over legged chest with urns to Edward Bayntum of Yescombe, who 'lost his life ably defending his ship', 1803 aged 38. Mylor church has an ancient history, beginning with Mylor, who according to tradition, was martyred here in A.D. 411. (Church Guide).
Listing NGR: SW8202635242
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing