Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1141874

Date first listed: 09-Sep-1985



Ordnance survey map of CENTRAL METHODIST CHAPEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1141874 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2018 at 02:33:23.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Bude-Stratton

National Grid Reference: SS 20789 06344


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



11/232 Central Methodist Chapel -

- II

Methodist Chapel. 1878-1880, vestry 1886, alterations circa 1912. Ritual east end fittings 1924, alteration to ritual west end 1962. Torquay limestone with Bathstone dressings and slate roofs. Free Italianate Romanesque style chapel has shallow chancel, gabled porch on ritual south side and shallow gabled transepts towards the (ritual) west end. Moulded impost string at sill level of chapel and wide band under moulded string at the springing of the window arches which have wide stone architraves. Coped gables have order of blind round-headed east window, the central light flanked by engaged columns with waterleaf capitals. Carved angel in (ritual) east gable of nave. 5 + 2 windows to (ritual) north side with rose window in the gable of the transept. Moulded stone chimney in (ritual) north side corbelled out below the impost band. Porch on (ritual) south side has round-headed doorway with date of 1880 over and 1 light round-headed window in gable with carved label stops. Lean-to vestry on (ritual) south side has round-headed doorway, 2 rectangular recessed windows and 2 circular windows in wide stone architraves. Addition at ritual west end gabled to west, preserves Romanesque style but has no impost band. Ventilators under hipped slate roofs on roof. Interior. Flat rib and panel roof. (Ritual) east end fittings circa 1924 include carved rostrum. Organ in chancel. The church seems originally to have been a church with schoolroom to the west, church extended into former schoolroom circa 1912. In 1962 the former west porch was altered to form an entrance hall.

Listing NGR: SS2078906344


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 64740

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing