HOUSE ADJOINING CHURCH COTTAGE TO THE WEST

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1141878

Date first listed: 05-Mar-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 09-Sep-1985

Statutory Address: HOUSE ADJOINING CHURCH COTTAGE TO THE WEST, CHURCH SQUARE

Map

Ordnance survey map of HOUSE ADJOINING CHURCH COTTAGE TO THE WEST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1141878 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Dec-2018 at 08:45:46.

Location

Statutory Address: HOUSE ADJOINING CHURCH COTTAGE TO THE WEST, CHURCH SQUARE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Bude-Stratton

National Grid Reference: SS 23092 06468

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SS 25 06 BUDE-STRATTON CHURCH SQUARE, STRATTON

13/166 House adjoining Church Cottage to 5.3.52 the west (formerly listed as one of Nos. 1 & 2, Church Street) GV II*

House, may have been guildhouse. Late C15/early C16, late C20 alterations. Colourwashed rendered stone with deep, steeply-pitched slate roof, brick chimneys at ends. Part of same build as Church Cottage (q.v). C16 plan may have been 2 rooms and through passage with large hall heated by front lateral stack, now missing, formerly positioned approximately at dividing wall between this house and Church Cottage. Room at lower end of former through passage unheated, chimney breast said to be at first floor level. Single-storey wing at rear left may have been kitchen wing, forming L plan. Rear right outshut under catslide roof, probably C19, forming present U plan. 5-bay C16 first floor room originally open to the timbers. 2 storeys. 2-window symmetrical front with C20 front door under canopy. 2 ground floor C20 4-light windows with glazing bars. 2 first floor windows, each a pair of 9-pane sashes in a common architrave.

Interior: Ground floor has massive cross beams with wide chamfers and wide runout stops. Axial beams mostly original. Chamfered 4-centred granite archway opposed to front door leads into former courtyard at rear, courtyard roofed over late C20. Similar granite archway leads from courtyard into kitchen wing. Stone chamfered rectangular window lights kitchen from courtyard. Kitchen has large fireplace with fireplace lintel. Stair inserted between kitchen and lower end, parallel to rear wall of lower end, Chinese Chippendale balustrade to landing, the stair balustrade replaced. First floor has early C19 2-panel doors. First floor room left has large fireplace of dressed stone, fireplace beam replaced. Attic has fireplace with ovolo-moulded fireplace beam. Roof has 5 bays of arched brace trusses with 2 tiers of threaded purlins and collars mortised into principals. Some of the braces replaced late C20, some repair to trusses with iron straps. Ridge concealed by late C20 panels, but said to be diagonally-set. Pitched stone path afore the house. Unusually complete survival of C16 joinery to first floor and roof. F J Bone refers to a number of guilds at Stratton including the "Fraternity of the Hye cross". There are references in the parish records to the Church House being used for trading, "It is probable that the name of the church house was applied to 2 or 3 contigudus houses overlooking the open space in front of the churchyard gates, and that these houses still remain. They were originally called by the name of Temple Stairs," F J Bone, The Story of Stratton Church, 1919, p45 fn.

Listing NGR: SS2309706475

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 64748

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Bone, F J , The Story of Stratton Church, (1919), 45

End of official listing