CHURCH OF ST RUMON

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1141916
Date first listed:
10-Jul-1957
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST RUMON

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST RUMON
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1141916.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 23:29:01.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST RUMON

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Grade-Ruan
National Grid Reference:
SW 72100 15224

Details

GRADE-RUAN RUAN MINOR SW 71 NW 6/52 Church of St Rumon 10 7 57

II*

Parish church, originally 2-cell, circa C13. Nave extended westwards circa C14 and north aisle and tower added circa mid-C15. Restored in 1854 and chancel extended in 1879. Rubble stone with scantle slate roof. Tower covered with ivy. Chancel, 4-bay nave, north aisle, south porch and west tower. Chancel roof raised with steeper pitch than nave. East window, 1879, 3-light with elongated trefoil heads. North aisle, west window, 2-light pointed trefoil with pointed quatrefoil (originally east window of chancel, central mullion inside out). Blocked door to east 2-light cusped trefoil with quatrefoil above, cusped trefoil headed lancet (transferred from north wall of nave when aisle added) and east window of 2-lights under 3-centred arch with hood mould. North wall of chancel with 2 lancet windows with trefoil heds. North wall of nave, 3-light Perpendicular window with trefoil heads and 2-light trefoil headed window with quatrefoil above, renewed in C19 under earlier hood mould. South porch with steeply pitched gabled roof with mid-C19 wavy bargeboards. Square west tower of 1 stage with battlemented parapet and pyramidal roof. C19 2-light window. 4 small single belfry lights. Chancel roof, possibly mid-C19 with butt purlin arch braced collar trusses. Simpler arch mid-C19 shallow roof to nave and aisle. Squat arcade piers type-A (Pevsner), partly recarved with moulded capitals. No bases (floor raised). Norman granite font with chevron decoration on squat round shaft and square base. Alson font to west of porch, Cl4, taken from Ruan Major, granite, with octagonal bowl and shaft on square base. Circa C13 piscina with beak head ornament to base. Lecturn, in memory of Maria Mallock, 1893, JJM. Polished serpentine with square base, round shaft and composite capitals. Painted board with 10 Commandments in tower. Undated, signed I.R. Source: Kelly's Directory 1889, The Buildings of England N Pevsner and E Radcliff, 2nd Ed. 1970, The Parish Churches of S Grade, S Ruan Minor and S Ruan Major W Boxer Mayne, 1905

Listing NGR: SW7210015224

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
64632
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Boxer Mayne, W, The Parish Churches of S Grade S Ruan Major and S Ruan Minor, (1905)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, (1970)
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directory, (1889)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Oct 2003
Reference: IOE01/10923/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Janine L. Richardson-Potter. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].