This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

1,2,3

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: 1,2,3

List entry Number: 1141955

Location

1,2,3

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Uttlesford

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Great Canfield

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 17-Oct-1983

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 352667

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 51 NE GREAT CANFIELD CHURCH END

2/43 NOS. 1, 2 AND 3

GV II

Early C17 house divided into 3 dwellings, with late C19 alterations, extended to SW in C20. Timber-framed, walls clad with red plain tiles with bands of scalloped tiles, roof similarly treated, weatherboarded dado. Main block of 2 bays aligned NE-SW, with crosswing of 2 bays at NE end. Axial chimney stack in each block and external stack at SW gable of main block, enclosed in C20 extension. Large porch on NE elevation, with turned balusters and gabled roof of scalloped tiles, late C19. 2 storeys. SW elevation, facing church, has one C20 casement window and 4 C19 casement windows at each floor. C19 canopy to door of No. 3, C19 porch to door of No. 2, similar to porch already described at No. 1 but with C20 alterations. 3 moulded red tiles with Maryon-Wilson crest, and another on NE elevation. Stop-chamfered ceiling beams. Framing exposed internally in only one ground floor room of No. 2, primary straight bracing and heavy studding. Clasped purlin roof. No. 1 has a small piece of oak panelling and a similar door, circa 1600, introduced from another house, probably from Fitzjohns, demolished circa 1900. The door has contemporary paintings on both sides of strapwork design, discovered by Miss Leonora Page under plain paint, and 2 hook and ride iron hinges crudely fitted. Possibly built as a vicarage (Eland, p. 145).

Listing NGR: TL5933518023

Selected Sources

Other
Eland,

National Grid Reference: TL 59335 18023

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1141955 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2018 at 02:38:03.

End of official listing