CHURCH OF SAINT BUDOCK

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1141977
Date first listed:
10-Jul-1957
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT BUDOCK

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF SAINT BUDOCK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1141977.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 18:55:05.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT BUDOCK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Budock
National Grid Reference:
SW 78622 32396

Details

SW 73 SE BUDOCK BUDOCK WATER

3/25 Church of Saint Budock l0.7.57 GV II*

Parish church. Parts of chancel and south transept C13, otherwise C15, restored in the late C19. Granite ashlar south porch, otherwise granite rubble with granite dressings Dry Delabole slate roofs with gable ends. Plan: C13 chancel (parts of east and south walls) and south transept; C15 nave, west tower, north aisle and south porch. Nave and transept re-roofed in the C19. Exterior: Complete C15 3-stage embattled and pinnacled west tower with weathered diagonal corner buttresses, steep 4-centred arched west doorway, 3-light Perpendicular window over doorway and similar traceried 2-light window to upper stage. Church has C15 doors and C15 outer frames of windows with mullions and tracery replaced in the C19. C13 lancet opening in the south wall of the chancel and another in the east wall of the south transept. South porch doorway has octagonal panelled jambs and remains of traceried head over 4-centred arched inner doorway and basket-arched north doorway. C19 doors. Interior: Plastered interior largely unaltered since the C18. C13 responds with engaged shafts to south transept arch with C15 chamfered pointed arch over; C13 piscina to south wall of chancel and another to south wall of nave; C15 4-centred arched arcade with fillets between 4 engaged shafts to the monolithic piers, between nave and north aisle. Old roof over probably C18 plaster barrel vault over north aisle, otherwise C19 arch-braced roofs. Fittings: Late medieval carved base of oak rood screen with original painted panels with old paint (upper part restored in the C20). 2 late medieval carved oak bench ends; complete set of probably C18 box pews with fielded panels. Probably C20 granite front and C20 pulpit. Memorial windows include east chancel window to Robert John Kinsman, Esq. and Susanna his wife, dated 1855; another to Miss Fox of Pennance Cottage. Monuments: Brass (chancel floor) to John Killigrew, died 1567, the first captain of Pendennis Castle, and Elizabeth (Trewinnard), his wife; tombstone and alabaster wall monument to Sir John Killigrew (erected 1617) of Arwenack, Knight, 26th year in reign of Elizabeth, second captain of Pendennis Fort.

Listing NGR: SW7862232396

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
66441
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Jun 2004
Reference: IOE01/11592/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Rod Allday. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].