POLWHEVERAL BRIDGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1142132
Date first listed:
17-Jun-1988
Statutory Address:
POLWHEVERAL BRIDGE

Map

Ordnance survey map of POLWHEVERAL BRIDGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1142132 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jul-2019 at 05:51:08.

Location

Statutory Address:
POLWHEVERAL BRIDGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Constantine
National Grid Reference:
SW 73710 28449

Details

SW 72 NW CONSTANTINE

8/46 Polwheverell Bridge - II*

Road bridge over stream, known as Polwheverell stream. Built 1572, widened probably in C19. Granite. A small single span bridge. The vault is made of a series of granite arched beams set side by side. Each beam is a dressed granite unchamfered 4- centred arch, corbelled at the springing over straight ashlar abutments, The bridge was widened on the downstream south side with massive roughly-hewn granite blocks. The parapets on both sides are also made of massive rough granite blocks. The bridge spans Polwheverell stream which flows into Polwheverall Creek, a tributory of the Helford River. There is a contract of 1572 between the parish and Roger Hallard, a mason of Tregoney. Source: Charles Henderson. A History of the Parish of Constantine in Cornwall. pages 17 and 20 C. Henderson and H. Coates. Old Cornish Bridges and Streams. pages 24, 25 and 95

Listing NGR: SW7371028449

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
66032
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Henderson, C, A History of the Parish of Constantine in Cornwall17 20
Henderson, C, Coates, H, Old Cornish Bridges and Streams, (1928), 24 25 95

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Oct 2002
Reference: IOE01/07968/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Margaret Hocking. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].