BONALLACK BARTON

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1142153

Date first listed: 17-Jun-1988

Statutory Address: BONALLACK BARTON

Map

Ordnance survey map of BONALLACK BARTON
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1142153 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 10:20:22.

Location

Statutory Address: BONALLACK BARTON

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Constantine

National Grid Reference: SW 71880 26420

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SW 7026-7126 CONSTANTINE

10/1 Bonallack Barton - GV II

House. Built in circa 1860 (reputedly 1855) by Colonel S.M. Grylls for his tenant James Tyacke, reusing some C16 material from the old house (Bonallack Barton Cottages, Nos 1 and 2 qv) and extended in 1898 for F.C. Baddeley by Sampson Hill, architect, of Redruth. The original circa 1860 part of the house is granite rubble with granite dressings and has a granite ashlar, front wall. The 1898 cross-wing extension is shale rubble with granite dressings. Steeply pitched slate roof with granite caping to the gable ends which have moulded kneelers. Brick stacks at gable ends and axial stack over the rear wing all with diagonaly set brick shafts. Plan: The original circa 1860 house is L-shaped on plan. There are 2 principal rooms in the front range with a wide entrance passage between, leading to a stairhall behind the right hand room. The wing behind the left hand room contains the kitchen and service rooms at the back. In 1898 a large drawing room was added in a cross- wing at the right hand end and a single-storey lean-to and rear porch were added at the back infilling the space between the 2 rear wings. The work was carried out for the new owner F.C. Baddeley by S. Hill of Redruth who also prepared plans for a school room to be built at the right end beyond the new cross-wing, but the school room was not built. Exterior: 2-storeys and 2-storeys and attic. Asymmetrical 3:1 window south east front The original 2-storey 3-window ashlar-fronted range to the left has a symmetrical front with 6-light granite mullion windows, centre first floor of 3 lights, all with 4-centred arch heads to the lights and with hoodmoulds; the ground floor windows have king mullions. The central doorway has a 3-centred arch double- chamfered frame with sunken spandrels and a hoodmould. All the hoodmoulds have quatrefoil motif in their stops. Studded plank door in a roll-moulded doorframe. Projecting gable end of cross-wing to right is 2-storeys and attic with Gothic granite windows, the ground floor 1:3:1 light window with pointed arch heads and segmentally arched hoodmould; the 4-light first floor window has similar pointed lights and a depressed 2-central arch hoodmould, and the attic window is similar but of 3 lights with a granite shield above with monogram of F.C. Baddeley and date 1898. The right hand (north east) side of this cross-wing has a projecting gable and single-light 4-centred arch windows. The left hand (south west) elevation has reused circa late C16 or early C17 2 and 3- light granite windows with hoodmoulds, some of the mullions removed. The rear elevation has projecting gabel-ended wing of the 1860 part to the right and slightly projecting gable end of the 1898 cross-wing to the left; the recessed section between has a 3-light stair window with 4-centred-headed lights and a brick single lean-to below incorporating a back porch. Most of the C19 windows are intact including their original casements. Interior: The left hand front room has carved wooden window lintel reused from the old house. The room to the right of the entrance also has reused carved timber window lintel. Both lintels have carved leaf decoration. The right hand room also has a reused late C16 moulded 4-centred arch granite fireplace which was probably a doorframe originally. The large drawing room in the right hand crosswing has a late C19 granite Tudor arch fireplace in an inglenook. The late C19 staircase has a wooden balustrade. The kitchen has a reused chamfered granite arched lintel. When Colenel S.M. Grylls established his family seat at Lewarne, St Neat, the old house (Bonallack Barton Cottages, Nos 1 and 2 qv) was reduced to cottages for farm workers. He built this house in circa 1860 for his tenant James Pellowe Tyacke. The estate was later sold to F.C. Baddeley who extended the house in 1898. Baddeley employed as the architect Sampson Hill, (architect and surveyor of Green Lane, Redruth) who was architect to the Cornwall County Council Education Committee (Kellys) Source: Charles Henderson. A History of the Parish of Constantine in Cornwall pages 124 to 132. Kellys directory 1910. Architect's plans in the possession of the owner, Mr Lyall.

Listing NGR: SW7188026420

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 65995

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Henderson, C, A History of the Parish of Constantine in Cornwall124-132
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directory, (1910)

End of official listing