This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE PRESBYTERY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE PRESBYTERY

List entry Number: 1142308

Location

THE PRESBYTERY, 21, WESTGATE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: St. Edmundsbury

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Bury St. Edmunds

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 07-Aug-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 467672

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BURY ST EDMUNDS

TL8563NW WESTGATE STREET 639-1/15/671 (South side) 07/08/52 No.21 The Presbytery

GV II

Formerly known as: No.21 St Edmund's House WESTGATE STREET. House. Built 1760/61 for Fr John Gage S.J. and used continuously since as the Presbytery for the adjoining Roman Catholic Church of St Edmund (qv). Red brick with plaintiled roof and a wood modillion eaves cornice. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, cellar and attics. 5 window range: sashes without glazing bars in plain reveals with flat gauged arches. 3 gabled dormers with 2-light single bar casement windows. 2 gable end chimney-stacks. A recessed central 6-panel door within a wood doorcase with panelled reveals, panelled pilasters and a frieze with a central keystone and pediment. A small 2-storey one-bay extension at the west end has a single sash window with a single vertical glazing-bar in a flush cased frame to each storey. A rear wing on the east, now linked with the adjoining church, was built as a private chapel but was formally licensed for public Roman Catholic worship in 1791. INTERIOR: retains many original features. Cellar, brick lined with a high timber ceiling. Ground storey rooms are panelled with ornate plaster cornices and internal window shutters with sunk panels. 6-panel and 4-panel doors. A fine dog-leg stair has vase-on-reel balusters, enriched bracketed open strings and ramped and wreathed handrails. An attic room at the east end of the house has original C18 framing and rafters exposed. The chapel has a galleried upper storey at the north end which still forms part of the house. (Rowe J: The Story of Catholic Bury St Edmunds, Coldham, etc.: bury St Edmunds: 1980-: 12).





Listing NGR: TL8532663764

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Rowe, J, The Story of Catholic Bury St Edmunds Coldham etc, (1980), 12

National Grid Reference: TL 85326 63764

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1142308 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2018 at 01:57:09.

End of official listing