LAVETHAN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1142391

Date first listed: 06-Jun-1969

Statutory Address: LAVETHAN

Map

Ordnance survey map of LAVETHAN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1142391 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 14:15:26.

Location

Statutory Address: LAVETHAN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Blisland

National Grid Reference: SX 09544 73015

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BLISLAND SX 07 SE 8/16 Lavethan 6.6.69 GV II*

House. Circa early to mid C16, probably with earlier origins. Partly remodelled in early C17, in 1653 (datestone) and in late C17 or early C18. Local stone rubble. Rag and scantle slate roofs with gable ends. Several early crested ridge tiles on southern service wing. 2 projecting front lateral stacks on south east elevations and circa late C16 moulded granite end stacks to west and north wings. Plan: Main range lies from south west to north east, with ground sloping down to south west: 'U" shaped plan with rear wings to right and left (north and west); service range in wing to front left, (south) and second service range to front right (east) returning to partly enclose fourth side of courtyard infront of south east elevation of house. The original plan is uncertain and the existing fabric indicates that Lavethan was a house of considerable size and status. The main range its lower end to left comprises an ll-bay range; 8 lower end and hall bays (towards the southwest) have circa early C16 clean roof trusses of high quality; The three higher end bays on the northeast appear to have been replaced in the late C17 and correspond with a straight joint in the southeast elevation, suggesting a partial rebuilding. The rear left hand wing on west has a circa C17 roof although there are two large blocked mullion and transom windows which extend from ground to first floor. The rear wing on right (north) has a late C17 roof but a circa late C16 granite moulded end stack. The front service wing on left has been partly rebuilt in the C18 and C19 and the front right hand wing was only partly accessible but appears probably C17 in origin. It would therefore appear that the earlier house comprises the left hand (south west) and central part of the main range and the rear left hand wing. The right hand (north east) end of the main range and the rear right hand wing may be contemporary although the existing fabric appears to indicate a later rebuilding. The front service wings were probably rebuilt earlier range, probably reusing earlier' material. In circa early C17, a two storey porch was added on the front (south east) elevation. In circa late C17 or early C18 the house was reorientated to face north west, the rear elevation was remodelled and fenestrated forming a new front with 12- pane sashes with thick glazing bars and the interior was remodelled with fine panelling and stair. The datestone of 1653 on the north west elevation may refer to intermediate alterations as stylistically the panelling and the remodelling appear later. The arrangement of the C16 house is unclear; the 8 trusses in the main range are of fine quality but appear clean and the lofty height of the roof suggests that this range may have either comprised a first floor hall or some other form of principal room on the first floor. However, the fine C18 joinery conceals much of the earlier stucture. In the circa early C17 the house appears to have had a main range of 3-room and through passage plan with a 2-storey porch, the room on the lower left hand (south west) side heated by a front lateral stack, the hall to right heated by a front lateral stack and inner room beyond. The two wings to rear were heated by end stacks and the courtyard service range was probably situated on the front (south east). The late C17 or early C18 remodelling included the re-orientation of the house, the panelling of the ground and first floor principal rooms and bed chambers and the partial division of the inner room to form a stair hall with an impressive open well stair. Exterior: 2 storeys, cellar and attic. North west elevation with a regular 3:4 window front remodelled in early C18.and with C18 modillion cornice has two wings to front right and left and central range. Door to right of centre with multiple moulded 2- centred arch and datestone above 1653. Two early C18 sashes to left and sash to right. First floor with four 12-pane sashes, three of early C18 with thick glazing bars. Two large blocked mullion and transom windows are visible in the side wall of the right hand wing, extending from ground to first floor. South east elevation has an asymmetrical 4-window front and is of two storeys with a cellar and attic. Two storey porch to left of centre with a depressed chamfered 4-centred arch and 2-light mullion window above, the mullion removed. The left hand side is partly obscured by the service wing which extends to front: Large projecting front lateral stack and late C19 12-pane sash on first floor. To left there is a straight joint in line with the projection of the front lateral hall stack. C18 door to right with fanlight and tall C18 and C19 18-pane sashes with C18 sash boxes on first floor. Interior: Wide through passage. Roll has a circa late C19 chimney piece. The floor joists above have been altered, possibly in the C18, to resemble intersecting ceiling beams, chamfered and stopped. The inner room was partitioned in the C18 and a fine early C18 stair inserted; open string and deep moulded rail, ramped and wreathed with turned fluted balusters and a dado rail on the opposite wall. Coved ceiling above. The room on the lower side of the passage was partly remodelled and has C19 joinery detailing and the west wing beyond retains a late C17 bolection moulded door frame. The blocked granite fireplace in the gable end wall is according to the owners of a considerable size. The first floor retains much of its circa late C17 and early C18 bolection moulded and raised and fielded panelling with coved plaster ceilings intact. Roof structure: Main range has an 11 bay roof with a possibly original closed truss above the lower side of the passage. The circa early C16 principals are morticed at the apices and the curved feet appear to rest on a timber wall plate. The morticed have straight tops and deeply cranked stopped and chamfered soffits like arch bracing. Two tiers of threaded purlins which are chamfered with diagonal stops. The roof on the north east is circa later C17 with heavy principals and collars, halved, lap-jointed and pegged. Above the west wing the six circa C17 trusses are much slighter; the principals are halved, lap-jointed and pegged and the collars are chamfered and have a pronounced crank. Lavethan was marked as the residence of Humphrey Kemp, by Norden in circa 1584. Norden Speculi Britanniae Pars; A Topographical and Historical Description of Cornwall. 1728, reprinted 1966.



Listing NGR: SX0954473015

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 67299

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Norden, , Speculi Britanniae Pars A Topographical and Historical Description of Cornwall, (1728)

End of official listing