THE OLD COLLEGE, OUTBUILDING ADJOINING LEFT GABLE END OF COLLEGE, WALL ADJOINING RIGHT FRONT OF COLLEGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1142422

Date first listed: 29-Sep-1961

Statutory Address: THE OLD COLLEGE, OUTBUILDING ADJOINING LEFT GABLE END OF COLLEGE, WALL ADJOINING RIGHT FRONT OF COLLEGE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OLD COLLEGE, OUTBUILDING ADJOINING LEFT GABLE END OF COLLEGE, WALL ADJOINING RIGHT FRONT OF COLLEGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1142422 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 01:30:35.

Location

Statutory Address: THE OLD COLLEGE, OUTBUILDING ADJOINING LEFT GABLE END OF COLLEGE, WALL ADJOINING RIGHT FRONT OF COLLEGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Week St. Mary

National Grid Reference: SX 23810 97674

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WEEK ST MARY WEEK ST MARY SX 29 NW 6/86 The Old College, outbuilding adjoining left 29.9.61 gable end of College, wall adjoining right front of College

GV II*

House, formerly grammar school, outbuilding and wall. Built 1508 for Dame Thomasine Percival who endowed the school. C20 alterations and repairs. Coursed polyphant with granite dressings and slate roof. Present building survival of larger complex (qv New College and Hayescroft). Single depth plan with left gable end polyphant chimney probably rebuilt and massive rear granite lateral stack with off-set weatherings and moulded granite cap. Perhaps with worn merlons. This stack is gabled back to the roof. Granite coping and quoins to right gable end. Rear left stair turret. 2-storey, 4-window range with slatestone rubble moulded plinth. Off-centre, moulded, granite 4-centre arched doorway with shield in tympanum and floral motifs in spandrels. Ground floor windows renewed and or repaired, 3-light casements 6 panes per light with glazing bars and new timber lintels. 2 rear 3-light ground floor windows with pointed heads and hollow-chamfered granite mullions below square-headed hood moulds with label stops, diamond leads. Ground floor room right is hall with slate floor and moulded granite fireplace, lintel probably renewed. Kitchen to left of entrance has renewed polyphant fireplace. Moulded granite arch into stair turret. Stairs altered, moulded granite arch with ogival apex from stairs into first floor raised about 45 cm. Principals visible in upstairs room. Roof timbers partly renewed, remaining older timbers circa C18. Single-storey outbuilding adjoining left gable end of college has 2 blocked rear windows with moulded granite jambs; 1 has hood mould and label stops. Battlemented coursed polyphant wall adjoining right front of range and running along street front has granite moulded coping to merlons and embrasures. Narrow opening to partially- blocked turret in thickness of wall, on college side, possibly for ringing bell. Thomasine Bonaventure was born in Week St Mary and eventually married Sir John Percival, Mayor of London, 1498-9. The foundation of Week St Mary Grammar School was similar to the foundation of Macclesfield Grammar School, founded by Sir John Percival in 1503. The grammar school at Week St Mary was the third of its kind to be founded by a woman. The deed of endowment has survived (qv Marhayes). Cornwall County Record Office, AD.405. Alterations and repairs by Paul Pearn in 1975 for the Landmark Trust. An etching by Miss Hawksworth from a drawing by S Porut of the entrance appears in Relics of Antiquity or Remains of Ancient Structures, with Other Vestiges of Early Times in Great Britain, London (1811). P L Hull, The Endowment and Foundation of a Grammar School at Week St Mary by Dame Thomasine Percival, reprinted from The Journal of the Royal institution of Cornwall, New Series, Vol.VII, Part 1, 1973.

Listing NGR: SX2381097673

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 67271

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Journal of the Royal Institute of Cornwall' in Journal of the Royal Institute of Cornwall, (1973)

End of official listing