PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1142471

Date first listed: 20-Feb-1967

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1142471 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2018 at 03:24:53.

Location

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Uttlesford (District Authority)

Parish: Great Dunmow

National Grid Reference: TL 62953 22963

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 6222 GREAT DUNMOW CHURCH STREET 7/13 Parish Church of St. 20.2.67 Mary the Virgin

GV I

Parish Church of St. Mary the Virgin. C13 presumed origins,early C14 chancel and out aisle walls, C15 south porch, arcade, chancel arch, tower and S chapel, all restored in late C19-early C20. The walls are of flint rubble with dressings of limestone and clunch and some brick patching of the tower. Roofs are lead covered, steeply pitched over the chancel. This is of the early C14 and relatively complete with 4 windows to the N, an extensively restored W window, double piscina, moulded string course at cill level. The roof is of 7 cants and C14 and the exterior carries a contemporary gable parapet with decorative kneelers. The S wall has an inserted arcade of the late C15-early C16 gaining access to the S chapel with 3 contemporary large windows. The nave arcade is of the mid C15 with some reused C13 material, similar to the S chancel arcade with moulded 2-centred arches, 4 attached shafts with moulded bases and capitals. The roof is of 2 separate phases and designs, but both with king posts and studs of probable C18. The clerestory windows of the C15 have 2 cinquefoiled ogee lights. The S aisle has retained the early C14 S door with moulded 2-centre arch with an attached shaft to each jamb with moulded capital and base and moulded label. The S aisle windows are C14 but much restored and the roof is of C15 form. A gallery extends into one bay, open to the upper S porch chamber and is supported on a C15 moulded portal frame. The N. aisle has 4 windows, 3 of the C14, much restored and one of the C15 and a west window, part C14 and part C15. The S porch of the C15 with an upper chamber with piscina and corner stair turret. Walls have a moulded plinth with crocketed corner pinnacles. The flanks have windows of 2 cinquefoiled lights. The W tower is of 3 stages with square, splayed angled buttresses, carried up on embattled turrets. The parapet is embattled. The C15 tower arch is moulded and 2 centred and there is a contemporary chamfered moulded tower chamber floor with carved boss intersections. The W doorway has moulded jambs and a square head with traceried spandrels, each with a plain shield and a band of ornamented squares above. W window is of 3 cinquefoiled lights with tracery. N, S and W walls of second stage have windows of 2 trefoiled lights. The bell chamber has, in each wall, a window of 3 cinquefoiled ogee lights with tracery in a square head. The vestry is C19. The interior contains a font in the S aisle, a disused octagonal bowl with panelled sides. The door to the porch chamber is C15 and a probable C16 door in the C14 S. door opening. A number of the windows contain fragment of C14, C15, C16 and C17 glass. Monuments to Sir John Saynnerton Dyer 1701, and to Sir William Beaumont 1718 by C. Horsnale in the chancel and to John Lord Henniker 1803, Dame Anne Henniker 1702 and Elizabeth Smith 1652, in the N aisle. Group of 17,C18 and early C19 headstones to the immediate S and SW of the S porch. Graded for architectural, historic, topographical and townscape value. (RCHM 1)

Listing NGR: TL6295322963

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 353272

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing