70 AND 72, FORE STREET

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1142560

Date first listed: 11-Apr-1986

Date of most recent amendment: 12-Sep-1989

Statutory Address: 70 AND 72, FORE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of 70 AND 72, FORE STREET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1142560 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 09:48:45.

Location

Statutory Address: 70 AND 72, FORE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Redruth

National Grid Reference: SW6994142028

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

REDRUTH FORE STREET SW 64 SE (south side) 11/272 Nos.70 and 72 11.4.86 (formerly listed as No.72) GV II Wholesale grocery shop and warehouse, now 2 shops. c.1870, extended c.1890; altered. Granite ashlar (ground floor), yellow brick with dressings of red brick and elvan (roof not visible). Rectangular plan, plus rear wing. Three storeys and 6 bays (first 2 bays added); the ground floor has piers with acanthus caps, in the 1st bay (which is narrower) a round-headed doorway with polished granite columns, and in the next 2 bays original segmental- headed shop windows, the 2nd with banded head; the upper floors have giant Composite pilasters, bands of blind arcading between the floors, sill-bands of red brick, 4-pane sashed windows at 1st floor with set-in shafts, and banded segmental heads under stilted polychrome arches, and at 2nd floor paired round-headed windows with central shafts and red brick bands round the heads. The roof is concealed by a prominent modillioned cornice topped by white brick pedestals bearing carved stone finials. The right-hand return wall of 7 bays is in matching style above ground floor, except that the 1st floor of the 2nd bay has 2 raised panels in place of a window, and the 7th bay has no openings, and the cornice stops in the 1st bay. The rear has blocked loading doors at 1st and 2nd floors, with a wooden hoist under a pitched canopy. The rear wing, of 3 bays, has similar loading doors in the centre but is altered at ground floor. Interior not inspected.

Listing NGR: SW6994142028

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 66829

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing