COFFEE TAVERN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1142583

Date first listed: 12-Sep-1989

Statutory Address: COFFEE TAVERN, ALMA PLACE

Map

Ordnance survey map of COFFEE TAVERN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1142583 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2018 at 01:26:30.

Location

Statutory Address: COFFEE TAVERN, ALMA PLACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Redruth

National Grid Reference: SW 69940 41994

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

REDRUTH ALMA PLACE SW 74 SW (west side) 11/240 Coffee Tavern GV II Coffee tavern, now cafe and amusement arcade. Dated 1880 over door. Killas rubble brought to courses, with granite and sandstone dressings painted white, slate roof. Rectangular plan. Gothic style. Two storeys and 3 bays over a basement, symmetrical except for the right-hand corner; moulded imposts bands and sill-bands. Tall gabled centre, breaking forwards slightly, contains wide entrance with set-in colonettes and depressed arched head with roll-moulding, the extrados inscribed "OPENED BY LADY JANE VIVIAN MAY 13 1880" (foundation stones in plinth on each side dated Dec.2 1879); ogee cresting over entrance arch flanked by carved panels with foliation interlacing raised lettering "COFFEE" (to left) and "TAVERN" (to right); bracket above entrance carrying lamb with cross and flag; large 2-centred arched 3-light window at 1st floor with multifoil head; gable with flanking pinnacles and apex finial. Outer bays have 2-light basement windows beneath large square ground floor windows (glazing presumably altered); and, at 1st floor, casement windows of 3 arched lights with colonettes. Chamfered right-hand corner with 2-centred arched doorway at ground floor, above this a corbelled oriel with windows like those at the front, and conical roof. Interior altered.

Listing NGR: SW6994041994

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 66794

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing