PUMP ENGINE HOUSE AT TAYLOR'S SHAFT OF NEW EAST POOL MINE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1142600
Date first listed:
09-Apr-1975
Statutory Address:
PUMP ENGINE HOUSE AT TAYLOR'S SHAFT OF NEW EAST POOL MINE, TREVITHICK ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of PUMP ENGINE HOUSE AT TAYLOR'S SHAFT OF NEW EAST POOL MINE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1142600 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Jul-2019 at 10:18:54.

Location

Statutory Address:
PUMP ENGINE HOUSE AT TAYLOR'S SHAFT OF NEW EAST POOL MINE, TREVITHICK ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Carn Brea
National Grid Reference:
SW 67416 41881

Details

CARN BREA TREVITHICK ROAD SW 64 SE (east side, off) 5/177 Pool 9.4.75 Pump engine house at Taylor's shaft of New East Pool Mine

GV II* Pump engine house, now National Trust museum. Dated 1924 on keystone of driver's window; built by East Pool and Agar Ltd mine; slightly altered, and restored. Coursed squared granite, window arches of brick, wooden shuttering to beam opening and cantilevered steel-frame bob platform, slate roof. Rectangular plan on north-south axis, with bob wall to south, altered pumping plant in shaft in front of bob wall. Four stages, with round-headed openings including the driver's window in the bob wall, which has granite ashlar voussoirs with a raised keystone inscribed "1924", and radiating glazing bars; a large raised cylinder door in the rear wall with glazed and panelled door and matching side windows all under a semicircular fanlight with radiating glazing bars; and various sashed windows with radiating glazing bars. The bob-plat at the front is divided in the centre where the front of the beam is coupled to the plunger of the pump. Interior: contains 90-inch cylinder engine designed in 1892 by Nicholas Trestrail with 52½ ton beam made by Harvey & Co.Ltd at Hayle, originally at Carn Brea Mine and purchased second-hand for use here; and all associated controls, etc. History: very late and fine example of traditional Cornish engine house, constructed at new shaft sunk in 1922 to enable old workings of East Pool Mine to resume production after a fall of ground in 1921 had destroyed 2 other shafts; continued working until 1953; the shaft is still used as part of the drainage system of South Crofty Mine. Forms group with its associated chimney stack (q.v.)

Listing NGR: SW6741641881

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
66733
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Sep 2002
Reference: IOE01/08105/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Paul Huddleston. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].