BOILER HOUSE ATTACHED TO CHIMNEY ON EAST SIDE OF PUMP ENGINE HOUSE TO MARRIOTT'S SHAFT ON SOUTH WHEAL FRANCES SETT

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1142627

Date first listed: 12-Sep-1989

Statutory Address: BOILER HOUSE ATTACHED TO CHIMNEY ON EAST SIDE OF PUMP ENGINE HOUSE TO MARRIOTT'S SHAFT ON SOUTH WHEAL FRANCES SETT

Map

Ordnance survey map of BOILER HOUSE ATTACHED TO CHIMNEY ON EAST SIDE OF PUMP ENGINE HOUSE TO MARRIOTT'S SHAFT ON SOUTH WHEAL FRANCES SETT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1142627 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2018 at 20:51:39.

Location

Statutory Address: BOILER HOUSE ATTACHED TO CHIMNEY ON EAST SIDE OF PUMP ENGINE HOUSE TO MARRIOTT'S SHAFT ON SOUTH WHEAL FRANCES SETT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Carn Brea

National Grid Reference: SW 68074 39389

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CARN BREA PIECE SW 63 NE 8/153 Boiler house attached to chimney on east side of pump engine house to Marriott's shaft on South Wheal Frances sett

GV II Boiler house to former tin mine, now derelict. Probably 1890's, for South Frances United Mine. Granite rubble with quoins, brick arches to openings; now roofless and partly dilapidated. Rectangular plan on east-west axis. One storey and 6 bays; each long wall contains an arcade of 6 round-headed arches, the 1st and 6th in the front wall now broken but those in the rear wall intact, and the front wall also has a segmental-headed doorway at the left end, and remains of 4 square windows over the arches; the right-hand gable wall has a round-headed doorway near the front corner, 2 round-headed windows at a higher level, and a circular window in the apex. History: contained 6 Lancashire boilers, providing steam for pump, winder, compressor, crusher, and capstan. Reference: Palmer & Neaverson op.cit. Part of a very impressive group of remains of one of the best equipped mines in Cornwall, closed in 1918.

Listing NGR: SW6807439389

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 66701

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Palmer, M, Neaverson, P, 'British Mining' in The Basset Mines their History and Industrial Archaeology, (1987)

End of official listing