Church of St John the Evangelist with attached churchyard wall and gateway

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1142640

Date first listed: 12-Sep-1989

Statutory Address: Church of St John the Evangelist, Treslothan

Map

Ordnance survey map of Church of St John the Evangelist with attached churchyard wall and gateway
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1142640 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Dec-2018 at 13:14:23.

Location

Statutory Address: Church of St John the Evangelist, Treslothan

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Camborne

National Grid Reference: SW 65059 37814

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SW 63 NE 8/93

CAMBORNE TRESLOTHAN Church of St John the Evangelist with attached churchyard wall and gateway

GV II Church. 1840-1842, by George Wightwick of Plymouth, for E.W.W.Pendarves; restored 1880; altered 1899. Snecked red killas rubble with granite ashlar dressings, slate roof. Nave with south porch, chancel, added north transept and vestry.

Early English style, with chamfered lancet windows. The six bay nave has clasping pilasters to the corners, lesenes, and one tall window in each bay except the first on the south side, which has a gabled porch with two bay colonnaded side entrance protecting a two-centred arched doorway; stone gutters on square corbels; roof with coped gables; stepped triple lancet west window, and gable bellcote. The small one bay chancel has clasping pilasters and a stepped triple-lancet window, a coped gable with large apex cross, a very small chapel in the south angle with a small lancet in its east wall and a monopitched roof, and a gabled vestry added on its north side and coupled with the transept, the windows in the gables of these with hoodmoulds.

Interior: wagon roof with large queen-post roof trusses which are supported on corbelled wallposts with arch-bracing to the tie-beams and have slender intermediate posts and ogival passing braces; two-centred chancel arch and window surrounds all of plain rubble (suggesting former plaster covering); two-centred double-chamfered arches to transept, vestry and chapel, and over that to the transept, remains of the head of the window which the transept replaced; over south doorway, a blocked window, and attached to this a hatchment with motto "NEC TIMEO NEC TUMEO"; in north wall of chancel, a blocked doorway to former smaller vestry; in south chapel, an altar stone of c.1000-1050 with inscription "Aegured" and rectilinear pattern enclosed by T-fret border; C15 font from Camborne church, with four angels holding shields.

Churchyard wall and gateway: attached to vestry and transept on north side, returning southwards round the west end and then eastwards to the corner of the porch. Coursed squared rubble with granite ashlar piers and coping, wrought-iron gates. The low wall has chamfered coping; the gateway on the north side has tall square monolithic piers with cross-gabled caps, and the gates each have two panels of scrolls and a cross on the top rail; there are matching piers to left and right and at both corners of the west end, and a simpler gateway opposite the nave.

History: principal building of small model village built 1840-45 by E.W.W.Pendarves of Pendarves on site of former hamlet of Treslothan; built as Chapel of Ease for south-west portion of parish of Camborne.

Listing NGR: SW6505937814

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 66641

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Staples, PB , Treslothan Church a Guide for Visitors

End of official listing