Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JULITTA
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1142729.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Feb-2020 at 01:08:53.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SX 08815 82343


CAMELFORD LANTEGLOS-BY-CAMELFORD SX 08 SE 4/54 Church of St Julitta - 17.12.62 GV I

Parish church. Norman origins with tower added in circa C14, 6-bay south aisle added in C15 and restored in 1864 and in 1873 by J. P. St Aubyn. North wall of nave and chancel and north transept of stone rubble, south aisle and porch of granite ashlar and west tower of snecked slate stone rubble. Slate roofs, nave and chancel in one. Plan : Norman origins with early masonry surviving in north wall of nave and chancel and east and west walls of north transept. Probably originally of cruciform plan, the west tower added in the C14, the 6-bay south aisle and probably the south porch in the C15. Church restored in 1864 and in 1873 when the north wall of the transept was partly rebuilt and the church was refurnished. Unbuttressed west tower of 3 recessed stages, battlemented parapet with crocketted finials, stair tower on north east and moulded plinth. C14 2-centred moulded west door with 2 figure heads as labels to hood mould. C19 3-light Perpendicular west window, 2-light cusped opening above and 3-light belfry openings with slate louvres. North wall of nave has blocked north door with 2-light cusped window and 3-light C19 Perpendicular window in north transept. To east of transept, 3-light circa C17 window with early glass and lancet window to east. Datestone 'I.M 1585' possibly indicating date of alteration or repair. East chancel window has been heavily restored. South aisle has four 3-light circa C15 Perpendicular windows with remnants of old glass. South porch; 4 centred arch with roll mould, incised spandrels and sundial 1712. Circa C15 waggon roof. 2-centred granite arch to south door with multiple roll mould and incised spandrels. Interior : Circa C15 waggon roofs with crenellated wall plates; sealed with moulded and carved ribs and bosses. 6-bay arcade to south aisle with type A Pevsner piers. Tower arch, partly rebuilt, does not correspond with slightly later nave roof. North transept arch partly restored and rebuilt but indicating probable early (Norman) date. C19 furnishings and pulpit. Circa C15 octagonal font. Several remains of old glass with heraldic motifs in top lights of north window of chancel and in 3 windows in south aisle. Several good memorials. Slate headstones reset in floor. Medieval cross head, Norman font bowl and remains of circa C15 stone windows at east end of south aisle. Maclean, Sir J Parochial and Family History of the Deanery of Trigg Minor in the County of Cornwall 1875 Pevsner, N and Radcliffe, E The Buildings of England, Cornwall 2nd edition 1970 Polsue, J Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall 1873, reprinted 1974

Listing NGR: SX0881482341


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Maclean, J, Parochial and Family History of the Deanery of Trigg Minor in the County of Cornwall, (1879)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, (1970)
Polsue, J, Lakes Parochial History of the County of Cornwall, (1872)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Reference: IOE01/04445/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Val Smith. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].