This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CARNE MANOR AND WALL ADJOINING ON NORTH EAST

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CARNE MANOR AND WALL ADJOINING ON NORTH EAST

List entry Number: 1142789

Location

CARNE MANOR AND WALL ADJOINING ON NORTH EAST

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cornwall

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Altarnun

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 22-Nov-1960

Date of most recent amendment: 23-Nov-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 68335

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ALTARNUN WEST CARNE SX 28 SW 4/127 Carne Manor and wall adjoining on 22/11/60 north east ( formerly listed as West Carne Manor)

II

House and remains of wall to front right. 1573 (datestone) possibly with earlier origins. Restored in the mid to late C20. The house is constructed of granite rubble with huge blocks of granite in the left hand side. There are numerous straight joints and blocked openings. Rag slate and asbestos slate roofs; lower roof on left with gable ends and granite parapet coping. Higher roof on right with hipped end on right. Stone rubble axial stack near centre and stone rubble lateral stack to rear right. Plan: The original plan is uncertain and the house has undergone several alterations and changes in the C17, C18, C19 and C20. The house appears to have had a 2 or 3 room and cross or through passage plan, the position of the entrance having been altered. The left hand room is constructed of different masonry and there is a straight joint between the left and right hand room. The entrance and through passage was probably near the centre, corresponding with an existing back door. The left hand room was heated by an axial stack backing onto this putative passage and lit by a large window inscribed with datestone of 1573. To the rear of this left hand room, close to the fireplace and passage a winder stair in a stair turret provided access to the first floor chambers. On the right hand side of the passage, it is uncertain whether there were one or two rooms although there is the remains of a rear lateral stack indicating that they were probably heated. On the front elevation the eaves of the right hand range have been raised although, to rear, the roof level is fairly uniform. There is a circa C19 one-room plan wing to rear of the left-hand room and a C20 porch on the right hand end. Exterior: Two storeys. Asymmetrical 2 window front. The lower range on left has a 4-light granite mullion window, the lintel inscribed 'ANNO DOMINO 1573 JOHN MORYDEC' with 4-centred granite chamfered arch to doorframe to right. The higher right hand range has two 3-light granite mullion windows on ground floor and two 2-light mullion windows on first floor. The original eaves level was in-line with the cills of these first floor windows. To rear there is a semi-circular stair turret lit by a square headed one-light window and there are two one-light rounded headed circa C17 granite window frames to the ground floor windows lighting the right hand range. The wall to front right of the house may be the remains of a front wing although it is probably more likely that the wall has been rebuilt, possibly reusing material from a part of the house which has since been demolished. The wall has a reset 4-centred granite arch near centre and 2-light and 3-light granite mullion windows to left and right. Interior: The floor joists have been replaced probably after the fire in the mid C20. In the left hand room is a fine quality 4-centred dressed stone arch to the fireplace which has a multiple moulded (roll moulded and cavetto moulded) arch and incised spandrels. To the rear of the fireplace is a fine quality granite ashlar winder stair. The roof structure appears to have been replaced. The owners recall sooting and blackening of the roof timbers although it is uncertain whether this was the result of the C20 fire or an indication that the house has Medieval origins. Roof structure not accessible.

Listing NGR: SX2021382225

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SX 20213 82225

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1142789 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2018 at 08:10:17.

End of official listing