CHURCH OF ST MARTIN AND ST GILES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1142855
Date first listed:
23-Aug-1957
Date of most recent amendment:
11-Jan-1989
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARTIN AND ST GILES

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARTIN AND ST GILES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1142855.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 17:28:19.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARTIN AND ST GILES

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Werrington
National Grid Reference:
SX 32789 87612

Details

WERRINGTON SX 38 NW 9/302 Church of St Martin and St Giles (previously listed as Church of St 23.8.57 Martin of Tours, Werrington, Broadwoodwidger R.D., Devon)

GV I

Parish church dedicated to St Martin. 1742, consecrated in 1743 by Dr. Nicholas Claggit. Restored in 1891-2, the restoration largely financed by the Williams family of Werrington Park. Snecked local stone rubble with slate roofs.

Plan: C18 church comprised nave, west tower flanked by two smaller towers, north transept forming Morice vault with gallery above used by house servants and later by choir and south transept forming south porch with external stair to gallery above.

Restored in 1891-2 when the chancel and organ chamber were added, the vestry accommodation was enlarged, stair turrets were added to the north and south transepts, the galleries becoming Sunday School rooms and the interior was reseated.

Exterior: Especially interesting and unusual west front with west tower of two stages with prominent battlemented parapet and large crocketted finials flanked by battlemented screen wall terminating in two smaller towers also battlemented with crocketted finials. Set in the niches around the towers are ten possibly C17 free-standing figures, possibly ten of the Apostles, with two further figures towards the east end of the church. The west tower reuses dressed stone including the crocketted finials, taken from the Medieval church which originally stood close to Werrington Park (q.v.).

Cl8 round headed windows to nave with later C19 tracery and C19 Perpendicular windows in the C19 chancel. The battlemented parapets to the two storey north and south transepts have remodelled when the church was restored in 1891 (see photograph in vestry) and circular turretted stair cases were added in the west sides. Set into the east wall of the chancel is a slate ledger stone with kneeling figures in relief; possibly from a monument to the Drake family reset from the earlier (demolished) church. Also reset is a small relief depicting two naked figures in the gable end above. Reset on exterior is an unusual headstone of an African servant, Philip Scipio erected by Lady Lucy Morice (1734).

Interior: Tall lofty interior, the walls rendered and the chancel with freestone dressings. Furnishings and roof dating from 1891 restoration and are simple in style. C18 pulpit with raised and fielded panels. Especially interesting C18 font, probably the earliest Gothic Revival font (Pevsner) and possibly by Kent who, Pevsner suggests, may have been responsible for the C18 additions to Werrington Park (q.v.).

The font has a small bowl decorated with cherubs' heads on a baluster shaft with moulded base. Norman font from earlier church; the bowl decorated with carved heads at corners on an octagonal stem with square base. On wall of vestry in ground floor of north transept is a marble heart shaped plaque to William Morice, 1688. This was originally attached to a second heart shaped plaque with the Morice arms (see illustration in 0. Peter, p. 15) and was probably part of the monument above the Morice vault. Stained glass; memorials to Coade and Williams families. Stocks dated WC 1797. Sir William Morice's act of demolishing the Medieval church which had stood close to Werrington Par and the careless way he transferred the churchyard remains considerably outraged the parishioners. Traditionally a curse was placed on the Morice family, Sir William died childless and within 30 years the estate has passed from the family.

Peter, 0 The Manor and Park of Werrington, 1906. Pevsner, N The Buildings of England and Devon 1958. Rendell, J Werrington Parish Church, a short history.

Listing NGR: SX3278687611

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
68191
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Otto, P, The Manor and Park of Werrington, (1906)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South Devon, (1952)
Rendell, J, The Story of the Bude Canal, (1987)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Reference: IOE01/08588/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr W. Wesley Colwill. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].