WADEBRIDGE BRIDGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1142975

Date first listed: 06-Jun-1969

Statutory Address: WADEBRIDGE BRIDGE

Map

Ordnance survey map of WADEBRIDGE BRIDGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1142975 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2018 at 00:59:20.

Location

Statutory Address: WADEBRIDGE BRIDGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Wadebridge

National Park: N/A

National Grid Reference: SW 99131 72464

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WADEBRIDGE WADEBRIDGE SW 9872-9972 9/253 Wadebridge Bridge 6.6.69

GV II*

Road bridge over River Camel. Circa 1468, financed by Thomas Lovybound vicar of Egloshayle. Widened in 1847 and again in 1963, the consultant engineers Posford, Parry and Partners. Local stone rubble. Granite dressings used in the alterations of 1847 and 1963. The bridge, 320 feet long, originally had 17 arches, 12 of which visibly survive; the end arches having been built up and were used as cellars. The original pointed arches are 18 feet 6 inches wide and rise some 9 feet from the springing point. The piers are 12 feet wide with deep cutwaters between each arch, rising to form refuges in the parapets. In 1847 granite segmental arches were inserted across the cutwaters to widen the carriageway by 3 feet on either side, thereby diminishing the depth of the cutwaters. In 1963 the bridge was widened on the south east side, almost doubling the original width of the bridge. The design of the granite segmental arches of the 1847 widening was copied using rusticated granite blocks with cutwaters repeated, rising to form refuges. The bridge was mentioned by William of Worcester in his visit of 1478 and a detailed account is given by Leland (1538). The bridge originally connected 2 chapels on either side of the river, one dedicated to St Michael and the other known as King's Chapel, both of which have been demolished. Local legend states that Lovybound, patron of the bridge, was unsure how to build foundations on a river bed; however, after a dream about sheep shearing he set bales of wool on the river bed, which in time swole up and bound the shifting mud, thereby allowing secure foundations to be laid. Henderson, C and Coates, H Old Cornish Bridges and Streams, 1928, reprinted 1972 Polsue, J Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall, 1872 reprinted 1974 Country Life 7 Jan 1965

Listing NGR: SW9913172464

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 67879

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Henderson, C, Coates, H, Old Cornish Bridges and Streams, (1928)
Polsue, J, Lakes Parochial History of the County of Cornwall, (1872)
'Country Life' in 7 January, (1965)

End of official listing