This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

TREMEER AND TERRACES IN GARDEN TO EAST

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: TREMEER AND TERRACES IN GARDEN TO EAST

List entry Number: 1142980

Location

TREMEER AND TERRACES IN GARDEN TO EAST

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cornwall

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: St. Tudy

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 04-Nov-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 67792

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST TUDY SX 0676-0776 8/162 Tremeer and terraces in garden to east

GV II

Large house and garden terraces. Possibly C16 origins with records dating from the 1430's. Partly altered in early C17 and rebuilt in 1798 for a Dr. Reed. Extended in 1899 (datestone) for the Hext family. Slatestone rubble and snecked granite, slate hung on the south east and south west elevations and rendered on the north east front. Double span slate roof with gable ends and rendered axial stacks with a projecting lateral kitchen stack. Plan: Complicated triple pile plan with several thick internal cross walls, several C17 blocked fireplaces in the cellar and one late C16 fireplace on the ground floor suggesting that the house was probably only partly rebuilt in 1798. Main entrance on north east elevation with rear entrance on south west and garden front to south east. The house is built into a slope with the ground rising to the north west and a large cellar extending underneath the greater part of the house. The main entrance on the north east leads into a stair hall and beyond into a large colonnaded vestibule in the centre of the house with a further stair hall to rear. To the south east, on the left of the hall, overlooking the garden are two reception rooms heated by an axial stack with back-to-back fireplaces with a study to rear left. To the right (north west) is a further reception room, heated by an axial stack with a kitchen to rear right heated by a rear lateral stack. The service rooms were accommodated in the cellar. An early C19 engraving of the house illustrates the south east garden front with a canted bay window continuing the full height and with a single rather than double roof span. In 1899 the north east elevation was remodelled and partly extended with a shallow canted bay projection, the roof was altered and the canted bay on the south east garden front remodelled. The 1899 remodelling is in Arts and Crafts style. Exterior: The north east front if 1899 is in the Arts and Crafts style. 2-storeys, cellar and attic. Symmetrical twin-gabled front with 3-light attic windows with ventilation slits above in the gables. The ground and first floor projects and has a canted 2-storey porch at the centre flanked by 2-light windows on the left side and 4-light windows on the right side. The doorway has a semi-circular open pediment containing the Hext coat of arms with the date and motto in a cartouche; the doorway opening has a cambered head. The doorway is flanked by very small single light windows and the first floor window above has.3 lights flanked by 2 lights in the canted sides of the porch. All the windows have granite frames and iron casements with leaded panes, the ground floor windows have transoms. South east garden front of 2-storeys, cellar and attic. To left of centre a canted bay window to cellar, continued with a curved bay window above and terminating in a gable which rises above the parapet of the main range. 2 and 3-light mullion and transom windows to right and left. A Venetian window with a granite surround lights a C19 stair on the south west elevation. Interior: Reception room on east has a circa late C16 roll moulded granite fireplace with a segmental arch decorated with a triangle and ball motif. 1904 Art Nouveau copper hood. Reception room on north with an exceptionally large fireplace with bolection moulded surround, raised and fielded panel above and ceiling with plastered chamfered intersecting beams with moulded cornicing. Early C19 open well stair on south west, the first stage with turned newel, stick balusters and ramped rail and the upper stages far plainer with rectangular stick balusters. Circa 1899 open well stair on north east of pine in late C17 design with flat splat balusters, square newels and a heavy moulded rail. First floor with a late C18 cast iron grate to bedroom on west. Terraced gardens on the south east, possibly C17 in origin and remodelled by Major General E.G.W. Harrison in the 1940's. Several flights of granite steps with granite piers and stone rubble circular piers with moulded caps. Marked by-Norden in circa 1584 as seat of Edward Lowre. Birthplace of Sir William Lower, author who died in 1662 and of Richard Lower, M.D. (died 1690) Physician inordinary to Charles II, who published various medical works and was associated with the first blood transfusion. In 1662 the Hearth Tax returns record 8 hearths. After the Second World War Major General E. G. W. Harrison lived at Tremeer and was responsible for the design of the gardens. See Country Life November 3, 1960 CXXVIII, page 1018. Gilbert, Davies Parochial History of Cornwall, 1838 Kelly's Directory of Cornwall, 1835 Maclean, Sir J Parochial and Family History of The Deanery of Trigg Minor, 1876 Polsue, J Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall, 1873 reprinted 1974 Stoate, T L Cornwall Hearth and Poll Taxes 1660-1664, 1981 Norden Speculi Britanniae Pars: A Topographical and Historical Description of Cornwall, 1728, reprinted 1966.

Listing NGR: SX0616676677

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Davies, G, Parochial History of Cornwall founded on the Manuscript Histories of Mr Hals and Mr Tonkin, (1838)
Maclean, J, Parochial and Family History of the Deanery of Trigg Minor in the County of Cornwall, (1879)
Norden, , Speculi Britanniae Pars A Topographical and Historical Description of Cornwall, (1728)
Polsue, J, Lakes Parochial History of the County of Cornwall, (1872)
Stoate, T L , Cornwall Hearth and Poll Taxes 1660-1664, (1981)
'Country Life' in Country Life, , Vol. 128, (1960), 1018
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directory, (1835)

National Grid Reference: SX 06166 76677

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1142980 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Aug-2018 at 04:24:50.

End of official listing