Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1143003

Date first listed: 04-Nov-1988

Statutory Address: TREGARDEN


Ordnance survey map of TREGARDEN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1143003 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2018 at 10:35:57.


Statutory Address: TREGARDEN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: St. Mabyn

National Grid Reference: SX 02924 72922


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


ST MABYN SX 07 SW 4/113 Tregarden


Large house. Datestone of 1631 in arch in front of house, although the house probably has earlier origins. Stone rubble. Regular slate roof with gable ends. Stone rubble axial stacks, partly rebuilt but revising the moulded early C17 granite caps. Circa C20 shafts to the projecting rear lateral stacks. Plan: 'E' shaped plan with central 2 storey porch. Wide through passage, blocked to rear. Hall and inner room or parlour on higher left hand side; lath and plaster partition, probably replacing screen at lower end of hall; stone rubble cross wall at higher end. Hall heated by large fireplace in rear lateral stack. Cross wing on higher left side of hall contains the inner room at the front, heated by an axial stack and with a C18 stair to rear, probably replacing an earlier stair. On the lower, right hand side of the through passage, the large possibly parlour or kitchen is heated by a rear lateral stack and the room in the front right hand wing is heated by an axial stack with a small probably dairy to rear. In the C19 a kitchen was added to the rear of the hall and in the C20 the rear elevation, below the passage was partly altered and rendered. 1 Exterior: 2 storeys. Regular 1:2:1:1:1 window front with central gabled 2 storey porch and gable ends to projecting wings to right and left. 4-light mullion windows with central king mullions on ground floor and 3-light mullion windows on first floor. The importance of the hall and chamber above are emphasised by each -having 2 windows. Several of the windows have C18 or C19 casements and some early leaded glass survives insitu. Roll moulded 4-centred granite arch in 2-storey porch with carved spandrels. Inner doorway has 4-centred arch with chamfered jambs, the right hand jamb with a ball stop and the left hand jamb a diagonal stop. Interior: Central through passage blocked to rear. Hall has a large hollow chamfered fireplace with a late C17 door to the adjoining cupboard to left. Fine quality circa C17 plaster coat of arms on higher end wall of hall. Repainted in circa early C20. The heraldic arms displayed include those of the Barrat, Bere, Trewin, Coade and Kestell families and a drawing of the arms is illustrated by Maclean. The chamfered beams recorded by Lysons are no longer visible and oak panelling was recorded as having been removed prior to the early C19. The hall ceiling appears to have been lowered and conceals the top of plasterwork. The parlour or inner room on the higher side of the hall is heated by a late C16 or early C17 granite fireplace with roll mould and central triangular motif with ball finial. C18 stair directly to rear with thick stick balusters, square newels and a deep moulded rail. There are two C17 ovolo-moulded doorcases on the first floor with vase-shaped stops. Off the chambers above the hall and inner room are 2, probably C17 gardrobes or closets, which have their original C17 doors with cocks-head hinges and are lit by small single light windows with pointed heads, each constructed of a single piece of timber. The wardrobe or closet above the hall adjoins the projection for the rear lateral stack and is directly above a small cupboard on the ground floor. The roof structure appears to have been completely replaced in the C20. First floor of lower end not accessible. Seat of the Beres, Barrets, Godolphins and Mitchells. Recorded in the Hearth Tax Returns for 1664 as having 8 hearths. Source: Reverend D Lysons, Magna Britannia, 1814. Sir J Maclean, Parochial and Family History of the Deanery of Trigg Minor, 1876. E H Sedding, Norman Architecture in Cornwall. T L Stoate, Cornwall Hearth and Poll Taxes, 1660-1664, 1981

Listing NGR: SX0292472922


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 67746

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Lysons, Reverend D, Lysons, S, Magna Britannia Cornwall, (1814)
Maclean, J, Parochial and Family History of the Deanery of Trigg Minor in the County of Cornwall, (1879)
Sedding, H , Norman Architecture in Cornwall A Handbook of Old Cornish Ecclesiastical Architecture, (1909)
Stoate, T L , Cornwall Hearth and Poll Taxes 1660-1664, (1981)

End of official listing