CHURCH OF ST BREOCK

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1143026
Date first listed:
06-Jun-1969
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST BREOCK

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST BREOCK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1143026.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Feb-2020 at 01:06:53.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST BREOCK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
St. Breock
National Grid Reference:
SW 97710 71718

Details

ST BREOCK ST BREOCK SW 97 SE 3/65 Church of St Breock 6.6.69

GV II

Parish Church. Dedicated in 1259, extended in the C15, partly rebuilt in 1677 and restored in 1881 and 1966. Stone rubble masonry with slate roofs. Remains of the C15 carved timber wall plate to the earlier nave and chancel waggon roof has been reset on the exterior of the south aisle and south transept. Plan: Nave and chancel in one with north transept (Pawton aisle), and west tower. In circa C15 the 6 bay south aisle was added and the south transept or Trevorder aisle was possibly added or rebuilt in 1677. There are both north and south porches, the north porch being the main entrance as the ground rises up steeply on the south side of the Church. Exterior: Squat west tower of 3 stages with battlemented parapet. No west door, restored or renewed 2-light west window and circa C15 belfry lights. The Perpendicular tracery to the nave, chancel, south aisle and north and south transepts is largely C19. North porch with moulded 4-centred arches and probably C17 triple lapped door. Interior: Walls stripped of plaster. Ceiled circa C15 south aisle waggon roof; the roofs to the nave, chancel and north and south aisles renewed in C19. Circa C15 6- bay south aisle with type A (Pevsner) granite piers with carved Beer stone capitals and 4-centred arcade arches. C20 furnishings. Catacleuse stone font of circa C14 and painted Royal Coat of Arms (1710 AR). Several good memorials including circa C14 priests tombstone, brass to Christopher Tredennick, Sheriff of Cornwall temp. Henry VIII and C16 and C17 slate memorials to the Tregagle, Tredennick, Goodfellow and Tyake families. Altar piece dated 1822 at west end of church and remains of early glass in the south aisle windows. Picturesque setting in valley with ground rising to north, south and west. Longden, Preb. A Church and Parish of St Breoke, with additions by Francis Hodges, 1968 Pevsner, N and Radcliffe E Buildings of England, Cornwall, 2nd Edition, 1970

Listing NGR: SW9771071718

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
67698
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Logden, P A, Church and Parish of St Breoke, (1968)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, (1970)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Mar 2007
Reference: IOE01/16261/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Midgley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].