This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

PARK FARMHOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PARK FARMHOUSE

List entry Number: 1143050

Location

PARK FARMHOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cornwall

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Egloshayle

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 04-Nov-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 67654

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

EGLOSHAYLE SX 07 SW 4/20 Park Farmhouse

II

Farmhouse, the original purpose of the earlier building unknown. Medieval origins, extended in circa C18 and C19. Stone rubble, the earlier range with ashlar slate stone walls with plinth and dressed quoins. Rag slate roofs with gable ends. Brick end stack incorporated as axial stack on left, brick end stack on right and brick side lateral stack and end stack to rear wing. Plan: Within the rear wing of the farmhouse is a tower-like structure, square-on - plan comprisisng ashlar slate walls, over a metre thick on all four sides, with a plinth evident on three of the four sides. Although incorporated into later additions, the dressed quoins and straight joints are clearly evident and indicate that this tower was probably of at least two storeys and approximately 7 metres in diameter. The purpose, however, is unclear; Leland described a place called Park where "Bottreaux had a fiare manor castelle" in circa 1535-39 and Polsue in 1876 suggested that the farmhouse occupied the site of the old mansion. E H Sedding (1909), however, suggested that the tower may have formed a gateway or entrance to the quadrangle of the manor house, connected to the main building by curtain walls. Alternatively, Davies Gilbert recorded walls, fences, gardens, walks and a tower house associated with the ancient deer-park, partly extant in 1838, although the park appears to have been sited further to the east with Pencarrow (derivation head deer or chief deer) at the head. The earlier remains now form part of the rear wing of a farmhouse of overall 'L' shaped plan. Comprising a front range of 2-room and cross passage plan heated by end stacks, a stair and service room to the rear of the left hand room and passage and the tower to the rear of the right hand room. Beyond the tower is a further room, the end wall rebuilt in the late C20 and a garage with room above was added to the left hand room of the front range in the mid to late C20. Exterior: 2-storey. Regular 4-window front with brick segmental arches to openings. C19 6-panel door with C19 20-pane hornless sash to left and C20 24-pane horned sash to right. First floor with four 3-over 6-pane sashes. C20 extension to left, slate hung with garage doors. Pointed dressed stone relieving arch to earlier structure on rear left of rear wing, near junction with front range. Interior: The earlier structure is now heated by a side lateral stack with a C20 fireplace and it is uncertain whether the tower was originally heated although there does appear to be the remains of a second flue in the south-west wall. The first floor joist comprise seven Massive roughly cut serpentine beams. In the front right hand room is a high quality circa mid C18 timber carved chimney-piece. Directly to the north east of the farmhouse is a barn (not included in the listing) with two raised cruck blades with evidence of earlier threaded purlins and morticed collars (now removed). Although probably soot-blackened the two trusses appear to have been reset. Sedding suggests that this barn may have been a chapel althouth there is little evidence surviving to confirm this. Park was the seat of the Peverell family, later passing to the Bassets, Bottreaux, Opie and Hickes, purchased Temp. Anne by Sir John Molesworht. Maclean, Sir J Parochial and Family History of the Deanery of Trigg Minor in the County of Cornwall, 1876 Polsue, J Lake's Parochial History of the County of Cornwall, 1876, reprinted 1974 Sedding E H Norman Architecture in Cornwall, 1908.

Listing NGR: SX0311470946

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Maclean, J, Parochial and Family History of the Deanery of Trigg Minor in the County of Cornwall, (1879)
Polsue, J, Lakes Parochial History of the County of Cornwall, (1872)
Sedding, H , Norman Architecture in Cornwall A Handbook of Old Cornish Ecclesiastical Architecture, (1909)

National Grid Reference: SX 03114 70946

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1143050 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2018 at 01:03:34.

End of official listing