- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- GLYNN HOUSE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1143108.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 14-May-2021 at 02:49:48.
- Statutory Address:
- GLYNN HOUSE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SX 11341 64944
SX 16 NW
10/9 Glynn House
House, now the Glynn Research Institute. Probably mid-late C18, on the foundation of an earlier house ; rebuilt and refronted for Edmund John Glynn, High Sheriff of Cornwall in 1805 ; damaged by fire in 1819, with alterations and addition of circa 1833 for Sir Richard Hussey Vivian. C20 alterations. Stone rubble, faced to south and west in ashlar with granite dressings. Slate roof with gable ends and axial stacks with rendered shafts. Plan: The main house is arranged in an L-plan, with principal rooms along the south (entrance) and west (garden) fronts. Service rooms are to north and east, and there is a double depth arrangement to south and west, including a stair hall in the inner west range. Along the south front, the C19 arrangement of rooms was from the left: large drawing room, library, entrance hall (to centre) study and smoking room. Along the west front from the left a suite of three interconnecting rooms, the dining room, small drawing room, and the large drawing room, which is the front left corner room. To rear left was a conservatory and an ornamental temple/dairy. The list of service rooms included a butler's pantry, lamp room, boot hall, billiard room (now demolished), a bachelor's bathroom, game larders, pastry room, gun room, still room, kitchen and scullery. Exterior: Entrance front to south of 2 storeys, a symmetrical front on moulded plinth, with deep eaves with stone brackets which were probably an alteration of the 1830s ; central bay slightly broken forward with 1830s portico ; 2 bays to right and left with pavilion at each end with pediment, also slightly broken forward. At first floor all windows are 9-pane sashes, ground floor windows are 12-pane sashes with thin glazing bars and stone voussoirs. The portico has 4 Doric columns, with shallow pediment, inner double half-glazed doors and fanlight with radial glazing bars. Band course across the central 5 bays, with rusticated quoins to the central bay. The outer pavilions have at ground floor a 12-pane sash with sidelights, with slender Doric columns and recessed stone arch over with attached central urn ; the window in the pavilion to left is a dummy. At first floor a 12-pane sash and a raised blind oval in the tyrmpanum of the pediment. To left of the portico is a cellar window. The garden front to west is of 2 storeys and 9 bays, the 3 central bays broken forward with a pediment ; the stone ashlar facing is not the same as the entrance front ; moulded plinth and similar bracketed eaves. Ground floor windows are all 15- pane sashes with stone voussoirs and granite keystones. The three centre bays have 4 attached granite Doric columns, possibly added after the fire damage of 1819 : supporting entablature and pediment with raised oval. Central ground floor window lengthened as a French window. Attached to left, the remains of the conservatory, with 4 bays divided by square granite piers. To end left, the octagonal temple, on a plinth, with engaged Doric columns at the angles, cornice and panelled blocking course with acroterial ornaments ; no windows or roof remain. At the right side, the end of the main range is blind ; the return of this range has pediment and 12-pane sash at first floor overlooking the service courtyard. The entrance to the courtyard has a pair of square granite ashlar piers with plain flat caps. 2 storey range to right with 3 plate-glass sashes at first floor and half- glazed door with hood and two 9-pane sashes at ground floor. Straight joint to a block to end right, which may be of mid C18 ; this has a hipped roof, with axial stack ; 12-pane sash at ground floor and 12-pane sash at first floor with thick glazing bars. Granite quoins and at the rear, 2 C20 doors and 12-pane sash at ground floor, three 9-pane sashes at first floor. At the rear, the end of the west range is blind with a pediment. Rear of service range has random fenestration, all sashes, with bellcote and bell on roof. Over the stair hall is a cupola. Interior: In the 1950s, the house suffered from extensive dry rot, and few internal features remain. In the large drawing room there is a marble chimneypiece with Ionic columns, and in the dining room a marble chimneypiece with fluted columns. Cornices and shutters to windows are repaired. In the west range are four ceilings with plasterwork ; these are copies of Sir Hussey Vivian's medals from the Peninsular War. The stair hall retains the upper landing level of the staircase, with turned balusters and moulded handrail. On the first floor there are plain marble chimneypieces. Sources: Pevsner, N.: Buildings of England: Cornwall 1970. Mitchell, Dr P.: A Short History of Glynn 1986.
Listing NGR: SX1134164944
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Mitchell, P, A Short History of Glynn, (1986)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, (1970)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing