LEVANT ENGINE HOUSES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1143268

Date first listed: 19-Mar-1979

Statutory Address: LEVANT ENGINE HOUSES

Map

Ordnance survey map of LEVANT ENGINE HOUSES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1143268 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Dec-2018 at 21:38:10.

Location

Statutory Address: LEVANT ENGINE HOUSES

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: St. Just

National Grid Reference: SW3681634505

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SW 33 SE, 1/156

LEVANT ZAWN, Levant Engine Houses

II

1840. Two granite buildings, one with hipped Delabole slate roof being the hoist engine half with stunted circular stack at one end and is two storeys higher: the other being the pump engine house, three storeys, roofless and one side open on 2nd floor and (the latter probably incorporates older fabric). Former tin and copper mine engine houses dramatically sited on edge of 200ft cliff. Extensive galleries including submarine works. The hoist engine house has two doorways and a 1st-floor sash window. The pump engine house has two doors, one arched, and various small openings, one on the 1st floor arched.

Peak of copper production was 1900. Scene of Cornwall's worst mining disaster in 1919 when 31 miners were killed and many others injured as a result of a broken section in the Main Engine which was carrying the men up the shaft. Closed 1930. The oldest Cornish existing engine is preserved in the hoist engine house (c.1840). It was the main engine for hoisting men, 1856 by Mackay, replaced 1888 by horizontal 18" and 30" compound engine. National Trust property.

Listing NGR: SW3681634505

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 69226

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing