SMALL HILL BARTON FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1143455

Date first listed: 20-Jul-1987

Statutory Address: SMALL HILL BARTON FARMHOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of SMALL HILL BARTON FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1143455 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 02:33:12.

Location

Statutory Address: SMALL HILL BARTON FARMHOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Otterham

National Grid Reference: SX 17231 94184

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

OTTERHAM SX 19 SE 3/110 Smallhill Barton Farmhouse GV II Farmhouse. Circa late C17, possibly incorporating some of the fabric from an earlier house on the site and with C19 alterations and late C20 fenestration. Local stone rubble, rendered and painted front range, its front wall being roughcast. Dry rag slate roof with gable ends and overhanging bracketed eaves at front. The front range has internal gable end chimney stacks with short rebuilt brick shafts and a rendered rear lateral stack between the rear wing and the main range. The rear wing has a large projecting gable end stack with stepped set-offs to the right side and a rebuilt brick shaft. The original plan is not quite clear, but the house as it stands may be as it was built. Alternatively the rear wing could part of remains of an earlier house but it is difficult to see how this would relate to the C16 range which is now an outbuilding adjoining at right angles at the lower end of the house (outbuilding adjoining north west of Smallhill Barton qv). The existing house has a 3 room front range; the higher left room which is heated from a gable end stack and the centre room with a rear lateral stack were probably 2 parlours with an entrance into a stair hall between. The third room at the lower right end was probably an unheated service room (now the dairy) with a through passage between it and the central room. The stair hall has a back doorway to the kitchen in a wing, with a gable end stack, behind the higher end of the main range. There is a late C17 door frame (moulded on the inside) from the kitchen into an outshot behind the lower end of the house which provides access from the kitchen to the lower end service room via the through passage. The outshot was heightened to 2 storeys to take a staircase in the late C19. 2 storeys. Asymmetrical range with 3 first floor windows disposed towards the right and 4 ground floor windows; all replaced with C20 aluminium pivot windows except for the 2 ground floor right to the dairy which have probably C19 wooden frames of 2 lights. The main doorway to left of centre has a fine wooden round arched hood with a moulded archivolt and supported on scrolled console brackets with vine decoration in the volutes; in the tympanum under the hood the arms of the French family in plaster, finely modelled in deep relief. Plain doorway to passage to right; both doorways have C20 aluminium glazed doors. At the back all the windows have been replaced with C20 aluminium pivot windows. The 2 storey rear outshot is clad in metal sheeting above the ground floor. Interior : The kitchen fireplace on the ground floor of the rear wing has 2 large granite jambs with ovolo and cavetto moulding and large diabolo and ball stops, the lintel has been replaced with a brick arch, however the jambs are rather closely spaced and it is possible that they have been reused. The doorway from the kitchen to the rear outshot has a similarly moulded late C17 wooden doorframe with facetted lozenge shape stops with bars. The rest of the internal joinery seems to be late C19 including the main stair which has turned newels and stick balusters and the back staircase in the outshot which has stick balusters and a chamfered square newel. The dairy has slate slabs and a brick central meat safe with a slate slab top. Smallhill Barton was the seat of the French family until 1814 when it was owned by Charles Chichester. Polsue, J Lakes Parochial History of the County of Cornwall, vol IV 1872,reprinted 1974. Sites and Monuments Register, County Hall, Truro.

Listing NGR: SX1723194184

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 68781

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Polsue, J, Lakes Parochial History of the County of Cornwall, (1872)

End of official listing