CHURCH OF ST SYMPHORIAN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1143467

Date first listed: 17-Dec-1962

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST SYMPHORIAN, FORRABURY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST SYMPHORIAN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1143467 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2018 at 09:12:03.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST SYMPHORIAN, FORRABURY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Forrabury and Minster

National Grid Reference: SX0957590893

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

FORRABURY AND FORRABURY SX 09 90 MINSTER 7/48 Church of St Symphorian 17.12.62 GV II* Parish church. Norman origins with possibly C12 masonry surviving in the south wall of the nave and possibly in the south transept. C12 font, early C16 south porch, tower possibly with circa C15 base rebuilt above plinth in circa 1760. Church heavily restored in 1866-67 by J. P. St Aubyn. Slate stone rubble. Slate roof with nave and chancel in one. The heavy C19 restoration hinders accurate chronological analysis of the plan. Maclean's extensive description of the church prior to restoration records a cruciform plan with Norman nave, chancel and south transept and Early English north transept. In circa C15 the west tower was probably erected. In circa early C16 the south porch was possibly rebuilt, probably contemporary with the furnishing of the church including elaborate carved bench ends, described by Maclean. The tower was largely rebuilt in 1760 and in 1842 a severe gale blew the roof off the church. The 1866 restoration by J. P. St Aubyn involved considerable rebuilding ; the north transept was largely rebuilt and extended to the west to form a 3-bay north aisle; vestry was added to the east of the south transept and the church was refenestrated, re-roofed and refurnished. West tower of two stages with upper stage rebuilt in circa 1760. 3-light west window in place of west door with C19 tracery in 2-centred arched openings; belfry openings with slate louvers on south and east sides; crude battlemented parapet. The north aisle is lit by C19 2-light Perpendicular windows with 2-centred arched openings. Part of the north wall of the chancel has been rebuilt in the C20 ; C19 Perpendicular tracery in 3-light east window and 2-light rectangular window with C19 tracery on south side of chancel. South transept and nave have C19 tracery in one, two and three light Perpendicular windows. Gabled early C16 south porch roofed with two large granite slabs which include the coping; moulded 2-centred arched opening with pyramid stops. Depressed 2-centred moulded greenstone arch to south door. Interior ; C19 scissor braced roof to nave and north aisle and plastered C19 waggon roof to chancel. 3-bay arcade with squat columns and large square capitals and depressed 2-centred arcade arches with chamfer. Round arch to south transept. C19 furnishings replace the elaborate carved bench ends and rood-screen described by Maclean prior to restoration. The remains of circa C15 or early C16 bench ends have been reset to form the altar, credence table and pulpit. Panelling, altar rails and screen in chancel circa 1911. C17 altar table is north aisle. Circa C12 greenstone font with round bowl and shaft ; the unlined bowl is ornamented with incised lines which Sedding suggests are modern but record previous ornamentation. Several memorials including those to Johan, wife of John Tubb (1644) and their son John (1647) and to William Cole at alia (1839). Number of C17 and C18 ledger stones fixed and lying against exterior of church including one to Katherin Gaurd (1675) with verse. The Church of Forrabury together with lauds, tithes and fisheries was granted by Richard I to Hartland Abbey. The church is commemorated in Rev. R. S. Hawker's poem 'The Silent Tower of Bottreaux'. The stripfields on Forrabury Common directly to the north of the church are probably post medieval covering 80 acres. They are probably the best preserved in the county with 40 of the 60 strips remaining and they are one of the only two examples of walled agricultural terraces in Southern Britian. The church of St Symphorian is an especially impressive landmark. Maclean, Sir John Parochical and Family History of the Deanery of Trigg Minor in the County of Cornwall. 1879. Volume I. Pevsner, N and Radcliffe E. The Buildings of England, Cornwall 2nd edition 1970. Sedding, E. H. Norman Architecture in Cornwall, a handbook of Old Cornish Ecclesiastical Architecture, 1909. Church Guide Sites and Monuments Register, Truro, Cornwall.

Listing NGR: SX0957590893

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 68710

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Church Guide to Church of St Symphorian Forrabury
Maclean, J, Parochial and Family History of the Deanery of Trigg Minor in the County of Cornwall, (1879)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, (1970)
Sedding, H , Norman Architecture in Cornwall A Handbook of Old Cornish Ecclesiastical Architecture, (1909)

End of official listing