This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

BOSCASTLE METHODIST CHURCH

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BOSCASTLE METHODIST CHURCH

List entry Number: 1143503

Location

BOSCASTLE METHODIST CHURCH, FORE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cornwall

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Forrabury and Minster

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 20-Jul-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 68697

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

FORRABURY AND FORE STREET (east side) Boscastle SW 09 90 MINSTER 7/34 Boscastle Methodist Church GV II

Methodist Church. Circa 1825 (datestone), partly remodelled in early C20. Patron John Rosevear, a general merchant who lived at Barn Park, Boscastle (qv). Roughly coursed and squared slate stone rubble with yellow brick dressings. Scantle slate roof with gable ends, central pediment and pyramid roof to tower. Original range of rectangular plan with rear wing possibly used as school room. In circa 1904 a corner staircase and entrance tower was added on front right, possibly contemporary with the remodelling of the rear wing. Front elevation; earlier range originally had a two window front and slate roof with hipped ends. In circa 1904 the 2-storey tower was added on the front right and the roof to the earlier range remodelled with gable ends and a central pediment. 2 : 1 window front; the main range has two tall windows in round arched openings with intersecting glazing bars. Oculus in central pediment with brick and terracotta dressings and datestone 'Methodist Church 1825'. The square 2-storey tower to right has brick quoins and round brick arched openings; entrance in left hand side and intersecting glazing bars to openings on ground and first floor. Former arched opening to right of earlier range with two early C19 windows with intersecting glazing bars above. Two storey rear wing of stone rubble with brick dressings to openings. Interior largely complete with original end gallery and rostrum pulpit. Double stair to pulpit; the right hand side removed when the choir was altered. Between 1784 and 1793 Methodist services were held in an old barn in Boscastle. In 1793 a licence for a preaching room was granted and in 1801 the first chapel was erected, financed by John Rosevear. The second chapel, built between 1823 and 1825 was also built by Rosevear who proved to be a particularly controversial figure in the history of Methodism in the Camelford and Wadebridge circuit. Datestones from the other converted or demolished chapels in Boscastle and Treworld have been reset externally on the Methodist church tower. These comprise the foundation stone from the Wesleyan Ebenezer chapel of 1837, now the Post Office in Dunn Street; the datestone from the Bible Christian Siloam Chapel of 1859 now converted to a flat and garage at the the cross roads of Paradise Road and High Street and the datestone from the Bible Christian Chapel at Treworld in Lesnewth Parish, 1838. The Methodist circuit in Boscastle was formed in 1803, the Bible Christian Mission in 1818 and the Bible Christian Mission in Treworld was founded in 1821. Shaw, Thomas Methodism in the Camelford and Wadebridge Circuit, 1743-1963 1963 Stell, C Draft of the RCHM inventory of Non-Conformist Chapels Late C19 and early C20 postcards of Boscastle in possession of local residents.

Listing NGR: SX0997490747

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Shaw, T, Methodism in the Camelford and Wadebridge Circuit 1743-1963, (1963)
Stell, C, An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting Houses in South West England, (1991)

National Grid Reference: SX0997490747

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1143503 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Aug-2018 at 04:27:26.

End of official listing