CHURCH OF SAINT PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1143598

Date first listed: 10-Jun-1954

Date of most recent amendment: 07-Sep-1988

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF SAINT PAUL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF SAINT PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1143598 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2018 at 03:59:59.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF SAINT PAUL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Ludgvan

National Grid Reference: SW 50523 33036

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LUDGVAN LUDGVAN CHURCHTOWN SW 53 SW 8/37 Church of Saint Paul (formerly - listed as Church of St Ludwan) 10.6.54 GV II* Parish church. Norman font, resited Norman doorway, possibly Norman south wall of chancel, C15 tower, north arcade and parts of north aisle, otherwise rebuilt circa 1912 reusing some of the C15 window and other masonry. Granite ashlar tower, otherwise granite rubble walls with grafiite or freestone dressings. Dry Delabole slate roofs with coped gable ends. Plan: nave/chancel under 1 roof; C15 west tower, C15 north aisle; 1912 south aisle and porch. At the 1912 restoration, much of the north aisle was rebuilt, the south aisle and south arcade probably entirely rebuilt, a doorway was cut through the ancient south wall of the chancel, all the roofs were renewed, the plaster stripped from the walls and the windows replaced or reset. Exterior: virtually complete 2-stage C15 embattled west tower with basket-arched west doorway, 3-light window over and louvred windows to the bell chamber. Circa C12 north doorway, resited circa 1840, otherwise 1912 Perpendicular style features with reused C15 outer frames to some of the windows. Interior: C15 6-bay north arcade; C15 4-centred tower arch springing from panelled octagonal responds, C15 basket-arched doorway to blocked rood stair in north wall; possibly C14 trefoil headed piscina; 2 blocked possibly C12 windows in south wall of chancel and some old plaster to one of them, otherwise circa 1912 features including south arcades and all the waggon roofs. Fittings: C12 octagonal freestone font over later shaft and base; 1837 painted Victoria coat of arms over rood stair doorway, otherwise later C19 or C20 fittings. Monuments: slate with carved figures of parents and 5 children to John South, Rector died 1637; slate to Ann, wife of Gull Borlase, Rector, died 1772; wall monument to Catherine, wife of Nicholas Davy, died 1635; painted panel to wife of RD (presumably Robert Davy), died 1703 and monument to Robert Davy, died 1796 aged 55 and Grace his wife, died 1826 aged 73, parents of the eminent inventor Sir Humphrey Davy.

Listing NGR: SW5052333036

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 70389

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing