CHURCH OF SAINT CREDAN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1143822
Date first listed:
15-Dec-1988
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT CREDAN

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF SAINT CREDAN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1143822 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Jul-2019 at 20:12:01.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF SAINT CREDAN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Sancreed
National Grid Reference:
SW 42025 29356

Details

SANCREED SANCREED SW 42 NW 5/287 Church of Saint Credan - GV II* Parish church. Norman font and reset Norman doorway in north wall, circa late C14 - early C15 tower, otherwise C15 largely rebuilt in restoration of 1881-91 by J.D. Sedding. Granite ashlar tower, otherwise dressed granite and rubble roughly coursed. Dry Delabole slate roofs with granite coped gable ends. Granite ashlar chimney over right hand wall of north transept. Plan: Originally probably a cruciform church but extended and remodelled in the C15. Nave/chancel under one roof; north transept, circa late C14 west tower,with external stair turret against the north wall. C15 south aisle (probably largely rebuilt 1881- 91), with canted rood stair projection, and C15 south porch. Medieval doorways and original windows to tower; C15 5-light chancel east window; other windows are C19 copies of C15 windows incorporating some C15 masonry. Re-roofed in the C19 re-using some fragments of the C15 roofs. Exterior: Unaltered single-stage unbuttressed embattled west tower with pinnacles over the corners. Pointed-arched hollow-chamfered west doorway, 2-light Perpendicular windows with traceried heads. North doorway is roll-moulded with a monolithic tympanum set back within a rubble arch. C15 4-centred south porch doorway is hollow chamfered; sundial over inscribed; A C fecit 1752. C15 4-centred arched inner doorway with square hoodmould over and there is a blocked ogee-arched-headed priests doorway towards the east end of the south wall. Interior: C19 plastered walls; late C14 or early C15 pointed tower arch over moulded imposts; C15 5-bay arcade between nave/chancel and south aisle with roll-moulded piers; similar 2-bay arcade between nave and north transept; arched rood stair doorway; holy water stoup in porch; predominantly C19 waggon roofs with reused C15 roof timbers in roof of south aisle and virtually complete C15 waggon roof with C19 carved bosses in the porch. Fittings: Norman font with 4 angels holding shields; C15 carved panelled base of former rood screen with some original paint. Otherwise C19 fittings in the Perpendicular style. Monuments: Marble wall monument to John Scobell of Poltair (formerly of Nancealvern), died 1825 aged 41; Tuscan aedicule with segmentally arched pediment to William Alexander Stanhope Forbes, 1893-1916, born at Trewarveneth, later student of architecture at Bedales School, killed at Guilbmont in the Somme battlefield. The monument has a bronze half-length portrait in relief by Stanhope A Forbes (Newlyn School of painters).

Listing NGR: SW4202529356

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
69827
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Apr 2003
Reference: IOE01/08102/35
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Janine L. Richardson-Potter. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].