BAPTIST CHURCH AND ATTACHED SCHOOLROOM AT REAR

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1143967

Date first listed: 29-Jul-1950

Date of most recent amendment: 14-Apr-1999

Statutory Address: BAPTIST CHURCH AND ATTACHED SCHOOLROOM AT REAR, CLARENCE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of BAPTIST CHURCH AND ATTACHED SCHOOLROOM AT REAR
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1143967 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Dec-2018 at 02:19:55.

Location

Statutory Address: BAPTIST CHURCH AND ATTACHED SCHOOLROOM AT REAR, CLARENCE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Penzance

National Grid Reference: SW 47106 30350

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SW4730 PENZANCE CLARENCE STREET (East side)

866/5/41 Baptist Church and attached 29.07.1950 Schoolroom at rear

GV II*

Baptist church. 1836 by Philip Sambell, Schoolroom probably mid C19, chapel slightly remodelled 1898-1905. MATERIALS: stuccoed front with stucco detail, otherwise local rubble with granite dressings; concrete tile roofs; brick stack at right-hand end of schoolroom. PLAN: rectangular aisle-less plan with gallery to 3 sides; original bowed apse now party wall with schoolroom at rear. EXTERIOR: 2-storey elevations; symmmetrical 3-bay road front with fine Romanesque style detail with round-arched moulded or moulded and carved openings. The moulded gable resembles a pediment but with recessed spandrels flanking a central bay with blind rose window. Above the rose window is the relief inscription: BAPTIST CHAPEL, and below is the date 1836. Below the rose window is a 2-light window under a carved hoodmould; 2 orders of nook shafts and similar central mullion. The flanking bays have spandrels with carved bracketed cornices, and nook shafts, over carved friezes and arcaded cornices above triple lights with sidelights blind. Moulded sill string. Ground floor has carved hoodmoulds on impost string and carved arches on nook shafts to central doorway and flanking single-light windows. Windows have margin panes; pair of 3-panel doors. Side walls have original (except for one C20 copy) tall round-arched sashes with spoked fanlight heads and there are rubble relieving arches under the sills. Schoolroom has 3-window range to rear elevation with original 12-pane hornless sashes to 1st floor. INTERIOR is of considerable interest and retains most of its original features including: gallery with moulded cornice and arcaded front carried on brackets with pendants, each bay punctuated by paired pilasters over paired brackets. The gallery beams are supported on slender columns with Romanesque capitals. The plaster ceiling has a moulded cornice and a central arcaded rose. At the original ritual east end is the original Romanesque tripartite window (blocked since the addition of the schoolroom) with chevron detail to the round arches and with the painted inscription "ONE LORD, ONE FAITH, ONE BAPTISM" to the tympanum over the 2 central lights. The entrance area has its original panelling and the staircases have octagonal newels. FITTINGS: very fine and rare original arcaded rostrum with bowed centre and flanking turned balustrades. At either side is a straight flight of stairs with stick balustrades which flank a large tiled bath with steps down to enable complete immersion in the baptismal water. There is a communion rail in front and 5 chairs, the central chair with arms. Original high-backed panelled benches with renewed graining survive at the back of the gallery. There are C20 cinema type seats on the original steps in front and the late C19 pews to the ground floor are pitch-pine with shaped ends. There is a panelled and piped organ at the west end of the gallery. Exciting use of the Romanesque style by the deaf Truro architect Philip Sambell. Other good chapels by him, also listed, are in Union Place and River Street, Truro, and Wendron Street in Helston (also Romanesque). This chapel is particularly fine and the survival of good original internal features further enhances its interest. It has national historic interest as one of the first examples of a style which became very popular in the 1840s.

Listing NGR: SW4710630350

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 69482

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing