This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

PENNANS FARMHOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PENNANS FARMHOUSE

List entry Number: 1144033

Location

PENNANS FARMHOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cornwall

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Grampound with Creed

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 07-Jan-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 71359

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

GRAMPOUND SW 94 NE WITH CREED 6/17 Pennans Farmhouse 7.1.52 GV II*

Farmhouse. Circa 1680; remodelled and extended circa 1700 - 1720. Some alterations of circa mid C19 and C20 alterations and additions. Slatestone rubble; the front faced in granite ashlar. Hipped slate roofs with lead rolls to hips and crested ridge tiles. Stacks to rear with brick shafts and stack at the right side with ashlar shaft. Plan: The original house is of 2-room plan, with central entrance to entrance hall and principal room to left and right, each room heated from a rear lateral stack. At the rear of the entrance hall is a projecting stair tower, with entrance to a cellar to rear right. In circa 1700 -1720, a wing was added to front right and left to form a symmetrical U-plan. The wing to front left may never have been completed; it is attached at the front left corner of the original house and does not appear ever to have had access from inside the original house. The wing to front right has one room at the right end of the original house, and a lateral corridor with stair well; the front room is heated from a stack at the right side. In C20 a one-room plan addition was made to rear left as a kitchen. Exterior: 2 storeys, a symmetrical U-plan front, with 5 bays in the main central range, and a wing projecting to front right and left, each wing of 3 bays. There is a plinth, which is continuous but of later date on the wings, and heavy moulded cornice; the centre bays have a moulded string course, which is continued as a flat band course around the wings. The central range has a central C18 6-panelled fielded door in eared architrave with pediment. Two 18-pane sashes to right and left in exposed boxes with moulded stone cills and voussoirs; some sashes are of the early C19 and some C20 replacements. First floor has central blind window with stone shield of arms, 2 similar 18-pane sashes to right and left. The inner side of the wing to right has early C18 6-panelled and fielded door to left with 8-pane overlight with thick glazing bars, flat-faced outside and ovolo-moulded inside, with voussoirs and keystone. At first floor to left an 18-pane sash of early C18, with thick glazing bars, voussoirs and keystone. To right, ground and first floors have blind window with moulded cill, voussoirs and keystones. The front of the wing has three 18-pane sashes with thin glazing bars at ground and first floor, all with moulded stone cills, voussoirs and keystones: the plinth and band course are continued. The wing to left is gutted: on the inner side are two blocked windows at ground and first floor, with moulded stone cills, voussoirs and keystones. Plinth and band course, with the cornice partly remaining. The left side of the wing has been partially rebuilt in C20, 12-pane sash at ground and first floor to left and blind window at ground and first floor to right. The right side of the house is in random rubble; plank door with overlight and C18 panelled door with overlight, both under pentice hood of slurried slate. First floor has one C19 12-pane sash with voussoirs and 16-pane sash with flat brick arch, the voussors remaining from formerly higher lintel level. Single storey outhouse attached to right, probably also of C18, with plank door and 3 blocked windows with granite voussoirs; corrugated asbestos roof, with window and double door to rear. The rear of the main house has a projecting stair tower to centre with hipped roof, late C18 round-arched 12-pane sash with splayed glazing bars and keystone. C20 window at lower level to right. Large external stack to left of the stair tower. At lower level to left, a 2-light 4-pane casement with granite voussoirs, to the cellar. There is a straight joint in the masonry to left, to the addition of early C18; ground floor has 3 windows, the centre one blocked, all with voussoirs, to right and left there are 2-light casements with 8 panes or 6 panes. At first floor there is a central blind window, late C18 18-pane sash to left and early C18 18-pane sash with thick glazing bars to right, with cambered brick arches. To the right of the stair tower, there is a 2-storey C20 addition set in the angle to the main range and concealing the rear lateral stack to right. This has door, and window at ground and first floor. Interior: In the main central range, the entrance passage leads to the stair tower to rear, which retains a fine open-well stair of circa 1680, with barleysugar twist balusters and ramped moulded handrail. The front right room at ground floor has complete bolection-moulded panelling with dado cornice and central plasterwork on the ceiling, with rosettes. C19 chimneypiece to rear. The front left hand room has a late C17 plaster ceiling with a simple moulded oval. At first floor, the room to right also has complete bolection-moulded panelling with early C18 chimneypiece to rear, with eared architrave and modillions below the mantel; 2-panelled bolection- moulded door. In the wing to front right, the internal features are of the early C18, with some C19 alterations; at ground floor,the front room had modillion cornice and 8-panelled fielded door, with C19 dresser built in and C19 kitchen fireplace at the outer side with mantel. C20 range inserted. The lateral passage in the wing has fielded dado panelling, and the stair hall has a plaster cornice with rosettes and modillions. Tight open-well stair with turned balusters and wide moulded handrail, ramped dado panelling. At first floor, the front room has 8-panelled fielded door, modillion cornice and fielded panelling; there is a closet at the outer side of the room, with complete fielded panelling and modillion cornice, and a small room, possibly another closet to the mid left side of the wing, also with fielded panelling. There is a service stair to the attic.

Listing NGR: SW9546048967

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SW 95460 48967

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1144033 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2018 at 02:34:17.

End of official listing