TREWAN HALL WITH ATTACHED GARDEN WALLS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1144124

Date first listed: 07-Jan-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 12-May-1988

Statutory Address: TREWAN HALL WITH ATTACHED GARDEN WALLS

Map

Ordnance survey map of TREWAN HALL WITH ATTACHED GARDEN WALLS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1144124 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2018 at 05:09:39.

Location

Statutory Address: TREWAN HALL WITH ATTACHED GARDEN WALLS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: St. Columb Major

National Grid Reference: SW 91156 64688

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST COLUMB MAJOR SW 96 SW 7/179 Trewan Hall with attached garden walls (formerly listed as Trewan 7.1.52 House and Dovecote) GV II*

House with attached garden walls. C15 origin, with later alterations; fireplace dated 1635, at the time of major enlargement of the house. C18 alterations and restoration and alteration of circa 1870 by William White. Some C20 alterations. Elvan stone rubble with granite dressings. Slate roofs with lead rolls to ridge and gable ends. Axial stacks and rear lateral stack with granite shafts, shaped tops with cornices. Plan: The original plan of the house is not clear. It is an overall U-plan, with a central double depth range with through passage, and the hall to rear right, heated from a lateral stack, with the fireplace on the inner wall. The stair hall is to front left. Attached to front right is a wing, which appears to have been partly rebuilt in the C18, terminating in an early C17 gatehouse, with carriage entrance running from right to left. Attached to front left is a symmetrical wing, probably a C19 rebuilding. There is a further range attached to rear left, forming a cross wing. There is a further range attached to rear left, forming a cross wing. The garden walls are attached to rear and enclose a rear kitchen garden of roughly rectangular plan. Exterior: Asymmetrical 2 storey front with embattled parapet. The gable end of the wing to right and left has stepped shaped gable, embattled, with obelisk finials; moulded granite coping and granite quoins. The central range is of 5 bays; 4-centred arched doorway to the passage with hood mould and C20 door. 2 bays to right with two 4-centred arched windows with hood moulds, first floor has two 2-light windows with cusped lights and square hood mould. Above the door a similar single light. To left is a 3-light C19 Perpendicular window with hood mould, lighting the stair. To end left there is a 2-light cusped window at ground and first floor. The wing to left is 2-storey; inner side has 4-light window with two transoms and cusped toplights with hood mould to left. 4-centred arched doorway with hood mould and C20 door to right. 2-light window with cusped lights and hood mould at first floor. The gable end has 4-light window with transom tracery, 2-centred arch and hood mould; single cusped light at the apex. Set back to left there is one bay with 2-light cusped window with hood mould at ground and first floor; embattled parapet. The wing to right has front gable end with 2-light cusped window at ground floor, 3- light Perpendicular window at first floor; single cusped light to attic. The inner side of the wing has a carriage entrance at the end with 4-centred hollow-chamfered arch, recessed spandrels with carved flowers, square hood mould with label stops. First floor left a 2-light window with cusped lights, and to right a 2-light cusped window with square hood mould. The outer side of the wing is treated as a gatehouse, in granite ashlar, probably of 1635. The gatehouse is on a moulded plinth, with 4-centred arched double doorway with roll-mouldings and recessed spandrels with carved leaves. Ionic column to right and left supporting a moulded string course with 3 diamond dies, cill string at first floor and 4-light window with hollow-chamfered mullions, 3 columns with convex caps. Frieze above with carved dies and cornice; attic storey in a shaped gable with 3 columns of a primitive Ionic order with two blind round arched lights, carved frieze and cornice above. The gable has obelisk finials set on four balls, 3 over the centre of the gable of which 2 have carved strapwork. The 4 bays to right are 2-storey, probably substantially rebuilt circa C18. Ground floor has four 4-centred arched windows. with hood moulds, first floor has four 2- light windows with cusped lights and square hood moulds. There is a gable end stack to right; the axial stack to the gatehouse is in granite with carved panels to the shaft. The left side of the wing to left has two 2-light chamfered granite windows at ground and first floor. There is a short section of rubble wall attached to left, with granite merlons and 4-centred arched doorway; this screens the front of the house from the yard at the left side. At the left side there are two 3-light chamfered granite windows at ground floor and central pointed arched doorway with fanlight and C20 door, set in late C19 brick gabled porch. Three 2-light chamfered granite windows at first floor. Three is a range stepped forward to left, of 2 storeys, with gable ends; the front gable end has single window at ground and first floor. The left side has 3-windows at ground floor and two at first floor, built into the bank at the rear, with a door at upper level to left. Granite ashlar gable end stack with cornice. At the rear there is a gable end to right and left, gable end to left with granite ashlar stack with cornice; 2-span roof over the central range with a rubble stack with cornice in the valley, which is the rear lateral stack for the hall. The doorway to the passage has 4-centred arch with hood mould. Two bays to right with two 2-light chamfered granite windows with hood moulds-at ground and first floor, similar 3-light window above the door. The gable end to right has similar 2-light window at first floor and single light at ground floor. To the left of the door are two 4-centred arched Perpendicular style windows with hood moulds, of C19, lighting the hall. The wing to right has two 2-light chamfered granite windows with hood moulds, lighting the hall. The wing to right has two 2-light chamfered granite windows at ground and first floor, with pointed arched doorway to left. Attached to the wing to right is a short section of rubble wall, with pointed arched doorway, connecting the house to the kitchen garden walls. The front wall of the kitchen garden is in elvan stone rubble with slate coping and granite merlons, about 2½ metres high and about 60 metres long. There is a central gateway, opposite the rear doorway to the house, with raised surround and embattled parapet raised over the doorway. The walls enclose the kitchen garden to rear, in rubble and cob, with slate coping; the walls do not extend fully around the garden, missing at the right side. The garden is about 30 metres deep. At the far right end, the wall is raised over a 4-centred arched carriage entry, with embattled parapet carried over. Interior: The front door opens into ann entrance hall which appears to have been reconstructed on the line of the through passage in the late C19; to the rear there is a stone vault with chamfered granite ribs and stone bosses with masks, similar to the vestibule vault in Bank House (q.v.). There is a stone screen with 3 pointed arches leading to the hall to rear right. The hall is open to the roof, of 4 bays of C19, with arched braces. On the inner wall is a granite fireplace with segmental arch and roll-mouldings and vestigial ogee, dated 1635. C19 dado panelling. To front left of the entrance is the stair hall, with open-well stair with turned balusters and chamfered newels, of C19. Interior not fully inspected. The C19 remodelling of Trewan Hall maintains the character of a C17 house, and the wing to left which completes the U-plan creates a symmetrical front. The gatehouse is most interesting, in a transitional style between the Gothic and the classical; it makes an interesting comparison with the Gatehouse at Lanhydrock House, which is a close contemporary. The house formerly extended further to the left, with a room which was reported in the early C19 to contain good plasterwork.

Listing NGR: SW9115664688

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 71183

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing