This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

PENQUITE HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PENQUITE HOUSE

List entry Number: 1144165

Location

PENQUITE HOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Cornwall

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: St. Sampson

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 28-Aug-1987

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 70992

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ST SAMPSON SX 15 NW 8/243 Penquite House - GV II

House, now youth hostel. Circa 1840, with some later alterations, including C20 alterations to the interior. Stuccoed stone rubble. Slate roofs, hipped over the ranges to sides, with gable ends to front and rear, lead rolls to hips and ridges, with rendered stacks to ridges. Plan: double depth plan, with central entrance to vestibule; principal room to right and service room to left. Central stair hall, with 2 principal rooms and one kitchen facing the garden to rear. Attached to the left side, a single storey service block built around a narrow courtyard, including former sculleries and wash house, with entrance at the left side. 2 storeys, symmetrical 5 windows front on granite plinth with deep moulded eaves. All windows are C19 12-pane sashes in plain raised architraves, with first floor cill band. Central double 3-panelled doors with overlight with decorative glazing, moulded architrave and pediment on consoles. The right side has a late C19 conservatory attached at ground floor, with 3 gable ends; inside the conservatory, 2 tall plate glass sashes giving access to the conservatory. Plate-glass sash at ground floor to right and 12-pane sash to left, all in same plain raised architraves. At first floor, cill band continued, and four 12-pane sashes in similar surrounds. The rear forms the garden front, of 5 bays, with the 3 centre bays broken forward under a pediment with oeil de boeuf. All windows 12-pane sashes except ground floor left a later plate-glass replacement; first floor cill band. The left side has first floor cill band and three 12-pane sashes at first floor. At ground floor, the service block has a pitched roof, curved around the corners, with a bellcote over the left side entrance. To the front, four 12-pane sashes with a pilaster between each; blind window on the curve of the wall; left side entrance has double 3-panelled doors with fist and wreath knocker, set in a round arch with a panelled tympanum, gable over. 12-pane sash to right and left with pilasters, gabled bellcote above with bell. Rear treated the same with sashes and pilasters. Inside the service courtyard, granite paving, and the house has a central 12-pane sash at ground floor. Service rooms have 16-pane sashes and 4-panelled doors facing the courtyard. Interior The cellars under the main stair hall are vaulted in brick with square piers with imposts. The central stair hall has a cornice with palmettes, egg and dart and bead and reel mouldings, similar cornice at first floor landing and rectangular lantern. Fine open-well stair with moulded wreathed handrail and cast iron balusters. The front entrance is to a large vestibule, with plain moulded cornice, panelled shutters and pelmet to windows. The central room on the garden front has a marble chimneypiece on the rear wall, cornice with vine leaves and bunches of grapes; windows have panelled shutters and pelmets with swags. The room to right side on the garden front has an oak leaf and acorn frieze, moulded cornice and marble Regency style chimneypiece on the inner wall; similar shutters and pelmets to windows. Room to front right has plainer moulded cornice. Most doors replaced in late C20, some panelled doors survive. Penquite was the home of John Whitehead Peard (1811-80), colonel in the Royal Army of Savoy and known as "Garibaldi's Englishman!" He joined Garibaldi's forces in 1859 and distinguished himself at the battle of Melazzo in 1860 and commanded the English legion during Garibaldi's advance on Naples. When Garibaldi made his triumphant visit to England in 1864 he insisted. on going to Cornwall to stay with Peard at Penquite. Source: F Welsh, Country Life, 20 May 1982, pp 1462, 1463.



Listing NGR: SX1181655650

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Country Life' in Country Life, (1982), 1462 1463

National Grid Reference: SX 11816 55650

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1144165 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2018 at 11:29:17.

End of official listing