Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1144227

Date first listed: 18-Oct-1949



Ordnance survey map of GUILDHALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1144227 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Dec-2018 at 22:32:45.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Lostwithiel

National Grid Reference: SX 10361 59781


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


LOSTWITHIEL FORE STREET (south side), SX 15 NW Lostwithiel 10/88 Guildhall - 18.10.49 GV II

Guildhall, with museum at ground floor. Dated 1740, with some C19 and later alterations. Granite ashlar. Hipped slate roof with ridge tiles. Single room plan, with the guildhall chamber at first floor and entrance at the centre of the front; a 2-storey addition to rear contains the staircase and one-room plan rear wing. 2 storeys on plinth; ground floor has arcade of 3 round arches with rectangular piers and square imposts, 2 bays to left fronting ground floor room, bay to right leading to a passage to rear. At first floor, three 18-pane sashes with thick glazing bars, cills and voussoirs; set below the central window, date plaque in limestone, with shield and inscription: Richard Edgcumbe Esq erected this building Anno 1740. Boxed eaves. Left side in granite ashlar. Right side has passage wall in granite rubble, with 5 granite steps to fine panelled double doors with strap hinges, wall slate-hung above doors. To right, the rear wing is in granite rubble, single light with iron grille at ground floor, first floor has raking dormer with large 4-pane sash and small single light under eaves. To rear has large 8-pane sash above the passage, lighting the upper chamber. Interior The first floor chamber has fielded dado panelling, with re-sited linenfold panelling along the west end wall. At the west end, there are steps to right and left leading up to the dais; turned balusters and moulded handrail, and balustrade along the front of the dais. Benches along rear, and central mayoral seat; this has balusters and moulded arms, set into the wall with a rounded panel over, Ionic pilasters and broken pediment with dentils and egg and dart mouldings. In front of the dais at lower level, a similar seat with plain panelled back and cornice over. Deep coved plaster cornice. Hung on the east wall, painting of Richard, Lord Edgcumbe, 1760, given to the borough by his son.

Listing NGR: SX1036159781


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 70839

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing