CASTLE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1144251

Date first listed: 04-Jun-1979

Statutory Address: CASTLE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CASTLE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1144251 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 13:40:58.

Location

Statutory Address: CASTLE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cornwall (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Lostwithiel

National Grid Reference: SX0994858306

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LOSTWITHIEL SX 05 NE 7/38 Castle - 4.6.79 II

House. Largely of circa 1840, incorporating an earlier, probably C18 range, with later additions of circa 1880, and some later alterations. Coursed slatestone rubble with granite dressings. Slate roofs with deep overhanging eaves, ridge stacks and gable end stacks. The front range of c. 1840 is a U-plan, with wing of one-room plan projecting to front right and left; the central 3 bays have a later C19 porch to right and to its left an addition set between the wings. The entrance leads to a hall with stair to rear left, and parallel rear wing containing principal room to rear right. To the rear left are service blocks, including a later C19 kitchen block, dairy and game larder, with service stair to the rear of the C18 building, which is enclosed within the later additions. 2 storeys, 2:3:2 windows, all 4-centred arched sashes of 12 panes, except in the wing to right, which has plate-glass sashes, and ground floor to left in the wing which has 4-centred arched French windows of late C19 with hood mould. The granite ashlar porch, set in the angle to the front right wing, has a wide 4-centred arched opening with C20 half-glazed doors, corbelled blocking course and parapet with pierced cusped panels. To left, single storey addition with three 4-centred arched plate-glass sashes, blocking course and parapet. The wings have a string course over the first floor windows forming pediments to the gable ends. Wing to right has front gable end stack, wing to left has stack to side, the wings both being of one-room plan. The right side has two 4-centred arched plate-glass sashes at ground and first floor. 2 parallel gabled wings to right, of 2 storeys to left and 2) storeys to right; to the left there is a ground floor canted bay of late C19 with 4 plate-glass 4-centred arched sashes, 3 similar windows at first floor. Porch with glazed door set in angle to wing to right. Wing to right has two 4-centred arched windows at ground and first floor, one at 2nd floor with glazing bars remaining and string course over, forming a pedimental gable end. Further service range set back to right of 2 storeys, with 4- centred arched plate-glass sash at first floor. Left side has 16-pane sash at ground floor and two 12-pane sashes at first floor, with 2 stacks rising from eaves. To the rear, the wing at front left is continued as a cross wing, with 12-pane sash at ground and first floor and roof hipped to rear. The rear of the main front range has a parallel 2-storey block with gable end stacks, of the C18, with 12-pane sash at ground and first floor of the outer left gable end. A 2-storey C19 kitchen block is attached to rear left with large brick stack to side and bellcote with ogee roof and weather-vane. To rear left, 2 gable ends with 16-pane and 12-pane sashes with brick segmental heads at ground, first and 2nd floors. Interior The porch opens to a stair hall with open-well stair to left, with paired turned balusters and moulded handrail, of the c. 1840 build. Archway to the rear service corridor with Tudor Gothic style plasterwork with fleurons. The 2 principal rooms to front and side to right have fine plaster cornices and Gothic wooden pelmets for curtains to windows. To the rear the service rooms are grouped around a small central courtyard, and include the C19 kitchen which is open to the roof, with a double sided fireplace for the range and meat ovens, With sprung spit, granite sing and slate shelf. Other rooms include dairy, with slate floor and shelves and central drain, game larder and bakehouse with bread ovens. The cellars have a loading bay from the central courtyard and include 2 wine cellars. This house has an unusually complete range of C19 service rooms surviving. Rudolf Hess is said to have been interrogated here.

Listing NGR: SX0994858306

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 70790

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing