This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

JOHN PEEL INN

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: JOHN PEEL INN

List entry Number: 1144475

Location

JOHN PEEL INN

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: Allerdale

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Caldbeck

National Park: LAKE DISTRICT

Grade: II

Date first listed: 19-Jun-1973

Date of most recent amendment: 03-Jan-1986

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 72361

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NY 33 NW CALDBECK Caldbeck

13/53 John Peel Inn (formerly listed as 19.6.73 Oddfellows Arms Inn)

G.V. II

Public House. Early C19 with late 1920s alterations. Painted roughcast walls with painted V-jointed quoins. Graduated greenslate roof with C20 brick chimney stacks. 2 storeys, 3 bays with lower 2-storey, single-bay extension to rear. C20 double plank doors in painted surround under plain cornice. Sash windows with glazing bars and tripartite sash windows with glazing bars on both floors to right, all in painted stone surrounds. C20 single-storey toilet extension to right side under greenslate roof and similar wall to pub. Side entrance has C17 chamfered surround under shaped lintel. Extension has hipped Welsh slate roof and sash windows with glazing bars in painted stone surrounds. Taken over as part of the Carlisle and District State Management Scheme and returned to private ownership in 1973, when the name was changed from the Oddfellows Arms. Was called the Rising Sun Inn in 1828-9, when John Peel and John Woodcock Graves sang Bonnie Annie there, after writing it at Graves house nearby, see Hugh Machell, John Peel, 1926, p85, illustrated.

Listing NGR: NY3239439774

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Machell, H, John Peel, (1926), 85

National Grid Reference: NY 32394 39774

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1144475 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2018 at 04:37:14.

End of official listing