WORKINGTON HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1144479
Date first listed:
06-Jun-1951
Statutory Address:
WORKINGTON HALL, HALL BROW

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1144479.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Nov-2021 at 08:08:43.

Location

Statutory Address:
WORKINGTON HALL, HALL BROW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
Allerdale (District Authority)
Parish:
Workington
National Grid Reference:
NY0075628793

Details

NY 0028 WORKINGTON HALL BROW (East side) Workington

10/46 Workington Hall 6.6.51

G.V. I

Fortified tower house with various additions, now in ruins. Mid C14 with C15 and C16 alterations and additions; late 1783-1789 additions by John Carr for the Curwen family. Mixed large blocks of red and calciferous sandstone with additions of similar rubble stone, all without roofs; oldest parts on chamfered plinth. Rectangular 3-storey tower with adjoining L-shaped medieval wing reduced to single-storey and rebuilt as 3 storeys by Carr; also adjoined by C15 hall range of 2 storeys, 5 bays, all enclosing courtyard on 2 sides, the quadrangle completed by a medieval gatehouse tower and wing by Carr. Tower was extensively renovated by Carr but retains some original loops, internal spiral staircase and mural chambers. Late C18 round and flat-headed windows, all unglazed. Wing has projecting 3-storey garderobe turret and ground-floor loops; large first-floor late C18 round-headed window openings, those above in ruins. Late C18 canted bay window to left. Further right-angled kitchen range of similar details, with angle turret. Hall range has blocked windows and doorways of various dates; 2 ground-floor early C16 2-light windows and upper-floor C15 window. Inner wall has C15 doorways and blocked early C16 multi-light windows. 3-storey gatehouse has flanking guardrooms with angle turret to right, showing a number of small original chamfered-surround windows; the round-headed through archway and windows are late C18 alterations. Adjoining late C18 wing has similar flat-headed window openings. Ancestral home of the Curwen family who obtained a licence to crenellate in 1380 (the foundation stone for the tower is said to have been laid 8 May 1362) and owned by them until sold to the local council mid C20. After vandalisation the council reduced the building to a controlled ruin. See Tom Clare, Report on the Fortified Buildings of Cumbria, Cumbria County Council, 1983 (unpublished), appendix 3; Transactions Cumberland Westmorland Antiquarian & Archaeological Society, old series, xvi, 1-15; J.F. Curwen, Castles & Towers, 1913, 244-7.

Listing NGR: NY0075628793

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
72269
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Clare, T, Report on the Fortified Buildings of Cumbria
Curwen, J F , Castles and Fortified Towers of Cumberland and Westmorland, (1913), 244-7
'Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society' in Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society, , Vol. 16, (), 1-15
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 9 Cumbria,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Nov 2002
Reference: IOE01/09402/32
Rights: © Mr Gordon Furness. Source: Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].