CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1145341
Date first listed:
27-Dec-1967
Date of most recent amendment:
03-Sep-1987
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1145341.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Feb-2020 at 11:59:56.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
Eden (District Authority)
Parish:
Langwathby
National Grid Reference:
NY 56903 32049

Details

NY 53 SE LANGWATHBY EDENHALL

8/81 Church of St Cuthbert 27.12.67 I

Parish church. C12 with C13, C14 and Cl5 alterations and additions. Repaired 1662 by Sir Philip Musgrave and renovated in 1834 for the Musgrave family. Red sandstone rubble walls with C19 angle buttresses; the tower of more regular blocks of square dressed red sandstone. Graduated greenslate roof with coped gables and cross finials. 3-bay nave with C19 south porch, square 2-storey west tower, C19 north vestry and 2-bay chancel. Nave has C19 round-headed doorway within porch. Large 3-light C14 south window and smaller 2-light C19 windows, all with cusped heads. Built into the south wall left of the porch are 2 fragments of a medieval graveslab. North wall has blocked C12 narrow round-headed window and C14 2-light window. Vestry has shields with Musgrave coats-of-arms. Tower of c.1450 has 2-light cusped-headed west window incorporating the Musgrave and constituent family coats-of-arms. Similar windows for bell openings. Battlemented parapet has unusual rectangular openings. Short spire with weather vane. Chancel has blocked priest's doorway and lancet window to left. C14 and C15 2-light windows. C19 pointed-arched east window. C19 north door. All walls show signs of having been raised, most noticeable on chancel. Interior of nave has 1834 oak trussed roof. C19 rear gallery with panels of Musgrave family arms. Medieval font shaped like a cushion capital. Heraldic stained glass, some of the panels pre-C17. Chancel has C19 panelled oak ceiling. Various white marble wall plaques from 1650s- early C19 all commemorating members of the Musgrave family. Under carpet is a C15 brass showing William Stapleton and his wife, thought to be the finest brass in the county. Various C18 and C19 white marble and brass wall plaques to rectors and Musgrave family staff. C19 linen-fold panelled choir stalls. C19 stained-glass windows have fragments of earlier glass brought here from one of the Musgrave houses, probably in 1834.

Listing NGR: NY5689832046

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
74285
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Aug 2002
Reference: IOE01/07950/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Lamb. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].