CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1145531
Date first listed:
27-Dec-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1145531.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Jan-2021 at 05:11:55.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
Eden (District Authority)
Parish:
Dacre
National Park:
LAKE DISTRICT
National Grid Reference:
NY 46007 26643

Details

CUMBRIA EDEN NY 42 NE DACRE DACRE

16/25 Church of St Andrew

27.12.67

I

Parish Church. C12 with C13 additions,and restorations of 1810 and 1875. Red sandstone rubble walls with string course, the aisles of longer blocks of pink sandstone with buttresses and C19 red sandstone battlemented parapets. Graduated greenslate roof with coped gables and cross finial. 3-storey square west tower; 3-bay nave with aisles; 3-bay chancel with north vestry. Tower has inscription over entrance STEEPLE REBUILT 1810 (with names of churchwardens). Over the west door is the reused head of a C13 2-light small window. 2-light bell openings under battlemented parapet with angle spouts. Nave has 2-light clerestory windows. South aisle has C13 doorway at left, the engaged columns removed and stonework above showing porch recess. C19 restored segmental- headed 2-light windows. North aisle has blocked C13 doorway and C19 restored 2-light windows. Chancel retains all of its C12 narrow round-headed windows and priest's doorway; one C13 inserted window. C19 3-light east window. C19 vestry has reused medieval stonework in tracery of its 2-light window. Interior has plain C12 round-headed tower arch. 4-bay aisles have pointed arches on octagonal and round piers. C17 open timber roof. Aisles have various C19 brass and white marble wall plaques. Door lock on C19 south door is inscribed and dated AP 1671 (given by Anne, Countess of Pembroke). C19 chancel arch. On a window sill is a fragment of a zigzag arch stone, probably from the original chancel arch. Chancel has C12 piscina. C18 and C19 wall plaques to members of the Hasell family of Dalemain; one to Edward Hasell by Chantrey 1830, a mourning female figure beside an urn. Red sandstone effigy of a knight, thought to be one of the Lords Dacre of nearby Dacre Castle. Step to vestry is reused medieval graveslab. Fragments of C9 and C10 carved cross shafts, are thought to have come from the nearby monastery mentioned by Bede and excavated 1982-85. C19 and C20 stained glass, some by Clayton and Bell. Late C17 altar rail on twisted balusters. See Phillipa J.F. Smith, A Short History of Dacre Parish Church, undated.

Listing NGR: NY4600226638

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
73747
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Smith, J F , A Short History of Dacre Parish Church

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/01238/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Bryan C Lindley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].