KEMP HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1145872

Date first listed: 12-Jan-1954

Statutory Address: KEMP HALL, 130A, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of KEMP HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1145872 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 16:42:00.

Location

Statutory Address: KEMP HALL, 130A, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: Oxford (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SP 51425 06168

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP 5106 SW 8/343 12.1.54.

HIGH STREET(South Side)No l30A(Kemp Hall)

GII* RCHM 78.House lying to the South end at the back of No 130 High Street.Built by Alderman William Boswell in 1637 and is "one of the best preserved,least altered of the sub-medieval buildings in oxford".It received a certain restoration in 1930.It is a "passage" type of house in a long rectangular plan with axis North and South and faces East.Two-storeyed plastered timber-framing with cellars and five attic gables,corresponding to to five bays,the West wall is of stone and contains the stacks and has four gables.The East elevation has a stone plinth in which are the cellar windows;in the ground floor is a wood-framed doorway with moulded jambs and a four-centred head in the spandrels of which is the date 1637;over it is an elaborate hood with moulded pendants;three original window-frames of two and three lights each remain,having moulded moulded mullions.There is an overhang at the first and second floors.In the first floor are five scroll-bracketed oriels having moulded frames and mullions;the two oriels on the North have been altered and joined into one.In the gables are two,three and four-light mullioned windows,the one in the centre gable being boxed out.There is a tiled and Welsh slate roof.Interior.RCHM page 166.Includes original fireplaces and doorways and an original staircase.For plans,sections and elevations see Antiq.Jnl.(1947),page 131 and figure 11.History.Alderman Boswell lived in No 130 and built this house in his garden.It was once used as the Police Station in C19.All the listed buildings on the South Side from a group.

Listing NGR: SP5142506168

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 245538

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of the City of Oxford, (1939), 166
'Journal of the Society of Antiquaries of London' in Journal of the Society of Antiquaries of London, , Vol. 131, (1947), 131

End of official listing