TRAFFORD HALL WITH ATTACHED SERVICE WING AND CARRIAGE HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1145900
Date first listed:
01-Jun-1967
Date of most recent amendment:
20-Dec-1983
Statutory Address:
TRAFFORD HALL WITH ATTACHED SERVICE WING AND CARRIAGE HOUSE, INCE LANE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1145900.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Jan-2021 at 16:42:06.

Location

Statutory Address:
TRAFFORD HALL WITH ATTACHED SERVICE WING AND CARRIAGE HOUSE, INCE LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cheshire West and Chester (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Wimbolds Trafford
National Grid Reference:
SJ 45117 72162

Details

SJ 47SE 5/55

WIMBOLDS TRAFFORD C.P. INCE LANE (East Side) Trafford Hall with attached service wing and carriage house

(Formerly listed as Wimbolds Trafford Hall)

1.6.67

II*

House. 1756 with added side wings and at rear. Brown brick, in Flemish bond, slate roofs, stone dressings, 3 storeys with cellars. 5 windows, with central bay projecting forward slightly. Sashes with glazing bars have stone cills and splayed heads with rusticated voussoirs and projecting keystones. Central Doric tetrastyle porch. Double doors, panelled, part glazed below rectangular fan with semicircular glazing bars, in shouldered doorcase. Brick parapet has stone piers at the angles of the centre bay. Moulded cornice across front and turning round corners. Moulded stone plinth, rusticated quoins. Right hand side has 1st floor Venetian window and 2nd floor Diocletian window, between blank windows with similar dressings. At left hand side is 2 storey service wing, behind brick wall with rusticated stone gate piers with flat stone coping and pyramidal capping. Similar single pier on wall to right of house. Attached to service wing is former carriage house possibly incorporating earlier kitchens. Brown brick, hipped slate roof, rusticated stone quoins. House has iron downspouts and rainwater heads, dated 1756. Interior. Doors of 6 raised and fielded panels in lugged doorcases, which in hall have plain frieze and flat cornice, and inside rooms are pedimented. 1st floor doorcase has imbricated frieze and egg and dart mouldings on architrave. Doorcase with semicircular fan opposite Venetian window. Dining room walls have large bolection panel. Panelled dado in former library and at 1st floor. Fireplaces mostly original, one has Ionic pilasters. Some overmantels. Attic room has fireplace and overmantel with raised and fielded planels between panelled pilasters and raised and fielded panelled cupboards. Moulded cornices, panelled shutters. Open string stair has 3 turned and twisted balusters per tread, turned newels, moulded rail and curtail, floral brackets.

Pevsner and Hubbard. Ormerod, G., History of the County Palatine and City of Chester 2nd ed. London (1882).

Listing NGR: SJ4511772162

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
55438
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Ormerod, G, The History of the County Palatine and City of Chester: Volume 1, (1882)
Pevsner, N, Hubbard, E, The Buildings of England: Cheshire, (1971)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Mar 2002
Reference: IOE01/06041/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Allan Vincent Pullin. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].