CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1145903
Date first listed:
01-Jun-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, SHOTWICK VILLAGE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1145903.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 16:15:10.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, SHOTWICK VILLAGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cheshire West and Chester (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Shotwick
National Grid Reference:
SJ 33679 71771

Details

SJ 37 SW SHOTWICK C.P. THE VILLAGE (North Side)

3/42 Church of St Michael.

1/6/1967

GV I

Church: late C11 door, body of church C14, late Perpendicular tower, south porch and some fenestration of C17. Restoration in 1851. Ashlar red sandstone, with purple tile roof except for Welsh slated chancel and porch. 3-bay nave and 3-bay lower chancel, 6-bay north aisle and chapel in one range, 3-stage west tower and a south porch. Simple gabled porch has 2-light stone-mullioned window in one side and contains stone benches and line of knife sharpening slots. Norman south door has scalloped capitals but no shafts with a band of zigzag above a band of chequerwork. Early post-medieval studded oak door with 4 vertical rails and long iron strap hinges. 3-light chamfered stone-mullioned windows in nave, chancel has buttresses and simple chamfered 2-centred arched priest's door and mullioned windows with cusped lights. 3-light east windows to chancel and aisle chapel with reticulated tracery and label moulds. Some late Perpendicular openings in north aisle. Tower has diagonal buttresses and bands at 1st and 2nd floor with carved faces. 3-light west window and louvred bell openings. Band with gargoyles carries embattled parapet. Interior: 4-bay arcade to north aisle with double-chamfered 2-centred arches on octagonal piers with moulded capitals. Arch-braced collar roof sprung from wooden brackets. Tall tower arch on semi-octagonal responds. Wooden chancel arch on C19 stone angel corbels. Chancel has heavy 2-bay arcade to aisle chapel with chamfering running down the plain piers. Early C18 turned-baluster communion rail. Oak box pews throughout with fielded panels. 2 larger family pews in north aisle where there is a C18 raised pulpit with reader's desk in front. To rear of aisle is a churchwardens' pew with panelled lower portion with reeded rails dated 1675 and the hood on tall turned balusters dated 1709. Small amount of C14 stained glass survives in the tracery of the east window of chancel and aisle chapel and west window of the tower.

Listing NGR: SJ3368171773

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
55688
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Apr 2007
Reference: IOE01/16536/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Martin Byrne. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].