CHURCH OF ST SAVIOUR

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1145911

Date first listed: 07-Nov-1983

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST SAVIOUR

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST SAVIOUR
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1145911 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 13:58:23.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST SAVIOUR

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Cheshire East (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Macclesfield Forest and Wildboarclough

National Park: PEAK DISTRICT

National Grid Reference: SJ 98454 68788

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WILDBOARCLOUGH C.P. SJ 96 NE 3/10 Church of St. Saviour. GV II Church 1901-9 for 16th Earl of Derby. Coursed red sandstone rubble with ashlar quoins, windows and doorways and Kerridge stone-slate roofs. Squat 2-stage battlemented west tower, aisleless nave of 4 bays, chancel of 1 bay, gabled south porch, north vestry. Pointed east window of 3 lancets under hoodmould on carved heads as corbels; square-headed mullioned windows to nave, south side of chancel and to vestry, with square labels and hollow-moulded mullions and surrounds; hollow-moulded surrounds to doors. Two gabled 3-light dormers of oak on south slope of nave roof. Foundation stone in south wall of chancel: This stone was laid by Constance, Countess of Derby, Sept 14th 1901. The simple interior is plastered above oak dado. Oak queenpost trusses to nave; through purlins to chancel; rafters and diagonal-boarded underdrawing, all of oak. Simple oak pews. Bowl-shaped stone font on base with corner-shafts and stiff-leaf capitals. The church was built, to commemorate the safe return of the Earl of Derby's sons from the Boer War, using Estate masons and carpenters.

Listing NGR: SJ9845468788

This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 27 February 2018.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 58104

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 27 February 2018 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/255679
War Memorials Register, accessed 26 January 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/12997

End of official listing