CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1146099

Date first listed: 06-Jan-1966

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, ST BARTHOLOMEWS STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1146099 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 14:41:49.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, ST BARTHOLOMEWS STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Donhead St. Andrew

National Grid Reference: ST 91456 24839

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

DONHEAD ST. ANDREW ST. BARTHOLOMEWS STREET ST 92 NW (east side)

4/10 Church of St. Andrew 6.1.66 GV II*

Anglican parish church. C12, C14 and C15, south aisle restored 1826, tower restored 1893, general restorations 1838 and 1875. Dressed limestone, tiled roofs. Plan: nave with north and south aisles, south porch, west tower, chancel and north vestry. Gabled porch, probably C14, has diagonal buttresses, moulded pointed doorway with hoodmould. South aisle is C15 with 4-light square- headed windows with ogee lights and hoodmoulds, diagonal buttresses to sides and string course to battlemented parapet, east window is 3-light pointed with hoodmould. Nave clerestory has three C19 two- light square-headed windows, south side of nave to right of aisle has tall C19 two-light pointed window. Chancel has 2-light square- headed Perpendicular window to south and north sides, 5-light Perpendicular window with hoodmould to east, diagonal buttresses and battlemented parapet with saddleback coping. Flat-roofed vestry has pointed east doorway and-2-light windows to north, battlemented parapet. North aisle has two 3-light square-headed restored C15 windows with hoodmoulds, battlemented parapet, nave clerestory has three windows as south side. West ends of aisles have C19 four-light Perpendicular windows. Three-stage west tower has diagonal buttresses, string courses and polygonal stair turret attached to north side, double-chamfered pointed west doorway with 3-light Perpendicular windows over, second stage has 2-light mullioned window, bellstage has 2-light square-headed louvred windows, moulded string course with gargoyles to battlemented parapet with broken corner pinnacles. Interior: porch has medieval floor tiles with star motif, collar- rafter roof, double cyma-moulded Perpendicular doorway with C19 door. Nave has C19 4½-bay queen-post roof with cusping and arch- braced collars to half-bays, 3-bay aisle C15 arcades with double cyma-moulded arches on cavetto-moulded piers with attached shafts, western responds with carved heads and angels holding shield of Instruments of the Passion, the south one restored. C15 cyma- moulded tower arch on C19 responds, north wall of tower contains reset fragments of C14 and C15 tracery, chamfered pointed doorway to stairs. C15 cyma-moulded chancel arch on attached shafts, chancel has C19 three-bay hammer beam roof, C19 tiled floor by Godwin. North vestry probably on site of former chapel is reached from chancel through C12 round-arched opening, C19 arch from north aisle with blocked pointed archway to right to former rood loft, vestry contains arched aumbry. Fittings: C19 pews, limestone cylindrical font and octagonal panelled wooden pulpit, wrought-iron and brass candelabras, 1850s stained glass in chancel by W. Wailes, east window of south aisle is c1890. Wall tablets include baroque stone and marble tablet with composite columns and segmental pediment with cartouche to John Gummage died 1690 and a classical marble with skull to Matthew Bowles died 1737 in north aisle. Marble in south aisle with Ionic pilasters to Richard Fezzard died 1713, large marble to John Cooke, Captain of HMS Bellepheron, killed at Trafalgar in 1805. Bells include two of 1425 and 1713. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England; Wiltshire, 1975; Building News, 1857, 331.)

Listing NGR: ST9145624839

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 320793

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)
'Building News' in Building News, (1857), 331

End of official listing