LITTLE CLARENDON

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1146116

Date first listed: 23-Mar-1960

Statutory Address: LITTLE CLARENDON, HINDON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of LITTLE CLARENDON
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1146116 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 16:48:44.

Location

Statutory Address: LITTLE CLARENDON, HINDON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Dinton

National Grid Reference: SU 01474 31568

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 03 SW DINTON HINDON ROAD (north side) 1/150 Little Clarendon 23.3.60 GV II* Detached house. Late C16, altered C17 and restored early C20 by George Engleheart. Rubble stone, tiled roof with hip to left and diagonally-set stone stacks. Former hall house with cross wing. Two-storey and attic, 4-window front. Two-storey gabled porch to left of centre has Tudor-arched doorway and pointed moulded inner doorway, single lights to side walls, upper floor has 2-light ovolo-mullioned casement and square sundial, ground floor to left has 3-light ovolo-mullioned casement with hoodmould, 4-light to right with hoodmould. First floor has raised eaves in stone with 3-light mullioned casement with hoodmoulds. Cross wing to right has 2-light mullioned casement facing west, front has 4-light mullioned casements to ground and first floors, 3-light mullioned casement to attic and blocked light over. Left return has 4-light ovolo-mullioned casement to ground and first floors, single-storey wing to rear has leaded casement and 2-light mullioned casement, 1920s attic dormer with leaded casements. Rear of east wing has 2- light ovolo-mullioned casements with hoodmoulds to three floors and square stair turret with 2-light mullioned casements and gabled roof attached to west side, rear of main range has Tudor-arched doorway and 4-light mullioned casement to hall, 3-light to first floor. Single-storey wing to west, rebuilt 1920s with chamfered mullioned casements and hipped dormers to attic, leaded casements to north gable. Interior: Entry from porch into hall; deep chamfered beam with stepped stops, Tudor-arched stone fireplace, wainscot panelled dado. Good wain-scot door to dining room has arabesque-carved frieze to architrave. East room has moulded cross beams and Tudor- arched stone fireplace, north east study in wing has deep chamfered beam, newel stairs with chamfered square newel in turret. First floor has Tudor-arched stone fireplaces in bedrooms, doors with 4 or 6 fielded panels, good wainscot panelled door to attic with rosette frieze, 4-bay collar roof over main range, probably Cl7. A C16 house, probably altered including raised eaves, in late C17. House acquired by Henry Hayter, formerly at Clarendon Park in 1697. George Engleheart was a daffodil grower who bought the house 1901 and developed new types of bulb whilst at Little Clarendon. (Country Life, 17 December 1943)

Listing NGR: SU0147431568

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 320736

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Country Life' in 17 December, (1943)

End of official listing